my trials and errors with cut comb so far

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So earlier in the year I started keeping bees in my woodland, and had the idea of producing mainly cut comb, although I do crush and strain too,

my first attempt using the T****** cutter and packaging/labels, and the chunks were weighing in under the 8oz/227g so I added runny honey to take it over and above the weight, as a newbie to selling honey I was quite proud of the finished product, and did sell quite a few at a local country show

but received comments from members here and other forums, that it would be better if it was just comb, so having an extra super that needed removing, I popped into town and bought some plastic containers and lids and cake cooling stands, as I wanted to be able to leave the cut comb to drain in a sealed unit, I then measured the inside of the packaging and made up a cutting template to suit.

I ended up with 29 pieces of cut comb and 12- 500ml jars of chunky honey, I let the chunks drain for 24 hrs and then packaged it, and in all honesty, this felt and looked like a quality product.

and placing it alongside my first attempt, you can see a BIG DIFFERENCE

so once it's out of the freezer, I'll add the labels and price accordingly
it's poor do when items are marked as an 8oz cutter, yet it is not, thankfully I have a friend who can make me a stainless steel cutter to suit the packaging better

Now that does look a lot better.
it's poor do when items are marked as an 8oz cutter, yet it is not,

What are your frame spacings? I find that (as long as the bees have been tidy) the 8oz cutter gives me pieces just over 8 ounces if I space the frames ten to a super, and that just fits nicely into the old fashioned white cut comb cartons - I've seen someone use the cartons with nine frame spacings and the lid wouldn't fit properly as the comb was too thick.

I stand corrected then, :sorry:

I'm using a mixture of national supers, commercials with castelations and rose osb

No, JBM was pointing out that it is the frame-to-frame spacing that constrains the thickness of the comb - nothing to do with the frame size.

10 frames to a National-size box (like all of yours) should get you combs of about the right thickness to give an 8oz (ish) chunk with the Thorne cutter.
Manley frames, which give you that spacing, are popular for cut comb. They tend to give you flatter combs, all the way to the edge of the frame - though at least some of my bees have definitely not read Manley's books!

Fatter combs (as from 9 frames to a box) will still fit into those 'crystal' containers.
Any drainage (from cut-edge cells, damage or heaven forfend uncapped cells) will reduce the weight in your pack.
Draining the combs before packing is indeed the 'proper' thing to do - the cut comb should be 'dry' (not least for showing) - but does lose you weight (of the chunk) in the pack - meaning you need a bigger (or fatter) chunk to start with to achieve 8oz in the pack.

got to say ratcatcher a total difference in the look of the products.

Draining the combs before packing is indeed the 'proper' thing to do - the cut comb should be 'dry' (not least for showing)

Unless it is heather cut comb, nothing seems to drain away from that when cut. Not sure if it would be much use for showing either if this is the case.

and you cut it all at once rat catcher and freeze it till when needed, when frozen and thawed is it just the same as before??

Darren

I normal don't either, but replies on here from an earlier post made me think 48hrs won't hurt, better safe than sorry

It's a good idea to freeze it, better to be safe than sorry. We were given a lovely-looking section recently, within a week it was riddled with wax moth larvae.

Latest posts

Back