Feral colony in tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Was at a nature reserve place today where the ranger ask me about what could be done to save a colony in a tree.
The tree is dead and rotten and has to be felled. There is a large colony about 25 feet up in a hollow in the trunk.
Not sure it can be cut down in sections as the trunk may be too rotten to risk climbing.
Any ideas about saving the colony?

Well it looks like they are doomed then!:(

The only thing is to try and get a cherry picker on site. Go for loads of publicity and you may get one free, then you need a cut out job which could be interesting!
E

For some unknown reason this thread never showed up in my New Posts button - odd ?

Anyway ... Your options are very limited - particularly at this time of the year. The best that you could hope for is to be on hand when the tree is felled - suited and well booted I would suggest ... then immediately after it comes down block whatever entrance the bees have been using (gaffer tape, polythene - anything quick and effective) seal them into into the trunk (or at least those that are not trying to kill you and anyone else in the vicinity). The get the tree fellers to cut the section with the bees in it out of the trunk ... if you could get a section that contains the whole of the bee's colony and then seal it top and bottom and move it away from where the work is going on.

If you can put what's left on a stand in the same location and fashion a roof to go on the top of the trunk the odds are that the colony will settle down after the tree felling is completed and you can then make some decisions about a more conventional cut out or re-location of the colony.

Bees will survive all sorts of trauma and coming down in a tree felling (as long as the trunk stays intact) will shake them up a bit but as long as the queen survives there's every chance they could be rescued.

Ideal situation would be if the tree fellers could take the tree down in sections and take a section where the bees are nesting out without felling the tree but it sounds like that won't be an option.

The tree fellers are going to need some Bee proof clothing as well I would suggest !

I think the above 2 replies sum it up. I know the feral colony may only be a year old and then again it might be the colony that all Beeks are hoping will arrive that has overcome varroa (let's be positive!!!) . I think more value should be put on feral hives as these are existing (debatable for how long) without human intervention. Bottom line is that it is worth saving them if at all possible.

There is a new arrival at the apiary, Roy Pearson and Dover District Council tree surgeons had to fell a tree which landed on a nursing home at Kearsney. The tree was home to honeybees! A section of trunk was cut and transported in the evening to Eythorne, bees last seen happily going in & out, now horizontal rather than vertical. Roy was his usual capable practical self, but well done DDC.

Dover & District BKA August 2013 http://www.ddbka.com/2013/08/newsletter-august-2013.html

Thanks for suggestions which I will discuss with the ranger.

What time of year would be best to attempt a 'rescue'? I would be tempted to say winter as they are least active but would disturb the cluster and may become too cold.

Hi I did a removal from a tree stump two weeks ago near bristol. It went okay and colony is settling into the hive nicely. Queen is now laying with a half frame of larvae and lots of eggs.

Took a video which is up on northsomerset beekeepers home page as cannot post url here.

😅😃

Latest posts

Back