Mini mating nuc plans?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Just wondering if anyone here makes their own mating nucs and if anyone could point me in the right direction for good bax and frame plans

Thanks
Huw

I appreciate the sense of industry, but is it worth it? Heat conservation is the big problem with small colonies, and wood fails where poly is ideal. Can you make a poly hive as durable as those you can buy? An Apidea is about £20, Swienty's Swi-Bine variant is just over half that. It's hardly breaking the bank and all you've got to do is successfully mate one queen and you're in profit :)

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone here makes their own mating nucs and if anyone could point me in the right direction for good bax and frame plans

Thanks
Huw

Split with table saw poly langstroth. You get 3 nucs from that.
Then glue kingstone poly board to the missing wall points.

Make a roof and bottom board from Kingstone.

Normal size frames are handy to take from the hive, new queen may laye there quite long time and later it is easy to join nucs to make normal hives.
No need to feed nucs because you take food frames from big hives.

The price of mini nuc are awfull. Here one model is 12,5 euros and another 26 euros

http://hunaja.fi/default.asp?id=90DA5777-F08A459E85E8-7AD0282B179D&kategoriaid=6&pos=20&page=20

Split with table saw poly langstroth. You get 3 nucs from that.
Then glue kingstone poly board to the missing wall points.

Make a roof and bottom board from Kingstone.

Normal size frames are handy to take from the hive, new queen may laye there quite long time and later it is easy to join nucs to make normal hives.
No need to feed nucs because you take food frames from big hives.

The price of mini nuc are awfull. Here one model is 12,5 euros and another 26 euros

http://hunaja.fi/default.asp?id=90DA5777-F08A459E85E8-7AD0282B179D&kategoriaid=6&pos=20&page=20

is that a 3 frame nuc finman?

Thanks for the info and links. I've got quite a lot of offcuts of 18mm ply that I was planning to use but I need to do more research about the workings of these boxes before I make any (or give in and buy some:rolleyes:)

Working nights atm though so no chance of reasoned thought lol

Latest posts

Back