hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hello every one i am i am hoping to get my bees next year 2015 i would like to build all my own stuff like hives, nucs hope i can learn from you all thanks paul :coolgleamA:

Hi Paul,

Welcome!

A good time to join the Forum!
Plenty of time to do some reading, go on a course, visit some hives and mooch around here, so that you can make your mind up about what you want to do.

Enjoy your beekeeping!

Dusty

Welcome ...good plan ... should be nice and ready for your bees next spring - if they have read the same books that is ! Good luck.

:welcome:

As others have already said, a good time to join, in the same position myself last year and now have my own bees and enjoying every minute. The most important thing is the preparation, lots to learn and a steep learn curve. The support a local club can give is invaluable and a mentor you can call on.

Enjoy your bees.

Mark

You've made the first step in the right direction :)
Don't rush , deliberate. There are so many hive types that you could be stuck with the type you may find totally inadequate ?
As Dusty says , have a mooch around , get a feel for bees . Explore hive type pluses and minuses!
Some equipment you can start on immediately , such as hive stands ,uncapping trays , nucleus hives.
The national hive is by far the most popular in the UK which means your first bees will probably be on frames to suit this hive type .
If you can find a mentor in you area ,so much the better and join a society if possible as you will meet fellow enthusiasts who can steer you to all the bargains, methodology and more importantly who to avoid:)
Most of all, enjoy . The greater your knowledge the greater the pleasure you get from the craft.
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome,
If thinking of building your own, consider buying one or two of the boxes from one of the suppliers in kit form, this gives you some good templates!!

Welcome,
If thinking of building your own, consider buying one or two of the boxes from one of the suppliers in kit form, this gives you some good templates!!

Good advice. In the beginning I bought a plywood kit hive then used it as a template with a couple of design mods such as cutting off the angled top frame support edge and using metal runners, plus altering the omf frame to use a simple aluminium sheet as a varroa slide. You can get a lot of kit out of a sheet of weatherproof plywood but do seal the edges.
Actual frames and foundation are easier to buy than make, especially if you shop around.

thank you all for making me welcome and i will buy one hive in flat pack and i will copy it like dn170221 said in his reply thanks paul

Latest posts

Back