feeding TBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andypc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 2 nationals and feeding them involves putting an ecke and feeder on the top as you all know. How do you feed a TBH, when all the TB's are pushed against each other?

An in frame feeder. Easy to make.. or buy..

see.. end photos..http://tinyurl.com/lkkhnbq

Easy to refill using funnel.. no disturbance at all.

Edit: wooden bits as floats means no drowning.

I sue WBP ply .. painted with yacht varnish. Seal joints with molten wax

when I had TBH I made the roof so it was a good 4" higher than the bars, then simply used a dummy bar with hole drilled in the middle and a normal feeder placed on top

Thanks to a post from someone else, my favourite's now a transparent plastic mini Ashforth feeder. As long as you have some roof space above your top bars. You need to cut a bee-width entrance slot out of the middle of one edge of a top bar - or just use for this purpose one narrower bar the same depth as your other bars, to which you pin at each end a short strip of narrower wood, leaving a gap in the middle. (This gap to be covered when feeder not in use). Drilling holes in the bar surely would work well too. The feeder then just sits on top and is easy also to refill from its other, bee-free, end without lots of bees joining in. - Am thinking I'll also be able to lay any broken pieces of honey comb etc. in the feeder to be fed back to the colony/cleaned out if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back