Wanted local mentor ( TELFORD AREA )

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneeye

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all I was wondering if their are any local bee keepers in Telford that are willing to help me out for my first season bee keeping ?

If so please get in touch many thanks
Sam

I'd suggest going to your local Beekeeping Association on their monthly meeting evening, it can be much easier face to face to make friends and get help,

Find your local association on the bbka website,
www bkka org uk and follow the links: 'about', 'local associations'

Hi Sam, what area of Telford are you based? Are you a member of the Shropshire BKA? I run the Twitter account @ShropsBKA You say it's your first year. Do you have bees yet?

Kind regards Alison (south Telford) :)

Pm sent toffeesmum !!! I haven't joined any groups yet just a couple of forums I've been doing a lot of reading and watching utube videos but they make it look so easy and I know theirs a lot more to it than meets the eye .

I have a full colony pre ordered from bs honey bees should be about 5/6 weeks and I'm picking another colony up next week !

Sam

Pm sent toffeesmum !!! I haven't joined any groups yet just a couple of forums I've been doing a lot of reading and watching utube videos but they make it look so easy and I know theirs a lot more to it than meets the eye .

I have a full colony pre ordered from bs honey bees should be about 5/6 weeks and I'm picking another colony up next week !

Sam

With only 5 posts your PM may go nowhere.
Maybe Toffeesmum could PM you with direct contact info?

My pm's are working fine pal ! I've been told the Shropshire BKA can be really chicky if your a new member ect that's why I've ask here first hopefully some one is near by to just show the the ropes an check my hives over ! If not then I that's something I'll look into ! It don't help as I don't drive with having only 1 eye lol and my mrs hates wasps bees well anything that flys lol

SAM:thanks:

Hi Sam,

As a member of Shropshire BKA from the day I attended their beginners course, I have never found anyone to be 'clicky'. We all help each other, when required. As you know, via my couple of replies to you, I really must recommend joining them as well as attending the beginners course (although probably full now) and/or the apiary course. There is so much more to bee keeping than people realise and it would be such a shame for you to have a bad experience right at the start.

Please consider my advise as there is a huge amount of help/support available within the association. Bees can easily become a nuisance, but with great management, a fantastic hobby too. Not a cheap hobby either, but rewarding all the same.

Good luck :)

Oh well said.......99percent of us would agree with that sentiment Sam. Good luck but please accept the encouragement to get some sort of training
E

Yeah I've been looking at doing a course the last week but by the looks of things I'm a bit late as most classes are fully booked or well out of my area !
So fingers crossed every thing pans out as I pick up my 1st colony tomorrow !

Sam

Hi Sam,

Take Toffeesmum advise and join Shropshire BKA (they are not clicky) and get some first hand experience with an hive before yours turn up you will be very surprised how quick things can change with Bee's, I jumped in just like you and when mine swarmed I have to say it was a scary experience for a novice, I also made some silly mistakes that cost me the one thing I did learn was I was not allergic to stings, over 30 stings the day I forgot my smoker and I opened a very angry hive.

You will really enjoy this hobby it is so fascinating just sitting watching them come back with the pollen my wife and I can sit there for hours just watching them come and go.

Hi Sam,

Take Toffeesmum advise and join Shropshire BKA (they are not clicky) and get some first hand experience with an hive before yours turn up you will be very surprised how quick things can change with Bee's, I jumped in just like you and when mine swarmed I have to say it was a scary experience for a novice, I also made some silly mistakes that cost me the one thing I did learn was I was not allergic to stings, over 30 stings the day I forgot my smoker and I opened a very angry hive.

You will really enjoy this hobby it is so fascinating just sitting watching them come back with the pollen my wife and I can sit there for hours just watching them come and go.
Yeah I've been looking ma1308 the starter courses are full at the moment . Where are the BKA meetings held in Shropshire ?

Toffees mom is kind enough to spare some time and come over and check my hive over for me next week hopefully and my other hive is due to be picked up in about a months time ! I already know I'm not allergic to bee stings which is a good thing I guess !

Sam

At Belvidere School, Crowmere Road, SY2 5LA

I'd just like to thank toffees mum (Alison) for helping me through my first hive inspection today an taking the time out to come over , really do appreciate it thanks again Sam

Ps I'm pleased the bees are healthy an friendly and not aggressive lots of brood in all stages plenty of stores for them !
No queen cells ... Happy days

I'd just like to thank toffees mum (Alison) for helping me through my first hive inspection today an taking the time out to come over , really do appreciate it thanks again Sam

Ps I'm pleased the bees are healthy an friendly and not aggressive lots of brood in all stages plenty of stores for them !
No queen cells ... Happy days

There's a lot of beekeepers who are happy to share an hour or two with new bee owners and get them over the first hurdles :)
An hour in a living hive with quality guidance can be the start of a lifelong adventure and when consolidated with the knowledge contained in a good book or two plus the wealth of advice available in this forum should give you every chance of becoming a skilful beekeeper. :)

Yes John I can't agree more ! I'm still going to join the Shropshire BKA even if I can't get to all the meetings just so I can get to know a few of the local bee keepers always handy if I get stuck an Alison is unavailable !

Sam

Latest posts

Back