Absolute beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My association provides free tuition to members but does charge a pound for tea and cake/biscuits at winter indoor sessions. Outdoor practical sessions at the apiary are free during the spring /summer plus treatment/feeding sessions where treatment and syrup are sold at advantageous (to the members) rates.
:)
Up to the association how they split costs. Around here several associations within driving/public transport distance run beginners' courses. Most make a charge to cover costs based on the numbers expected, you don't have to join any particular association. One or two include it as part of the first year membership induction. Some as classroom evenings, some as weekends. If the dates are more convenient we have starters who join neighbouring associations, and some who do a course elsewhere. The regular sessions for an hour or two are free to members, ask nicely and there's even room for some neighbours.

Been away.. Just seen all the replies. Scam?? Cheeky sod.

I am just a bee keeper who is happy to help any new people. With another very experienced bee keeper we spend a day (9-5) going from the basics with empty hive, explaining all that is involved with each part and extras thereof, colony content, disease, swarming -why and how to prevent or collect, to hygiene, honey production, demo'ing extraction, and much more. . Then we all go through some hives, usually with 2 groups of about 6 people to each, visually seeing all we have talked about

They get a 20 page A4 booklet to take away covering all we have discussed...AND I mentor for a year all who ask for my help as a follow up at no further charge. and the £40 (incl lunch and drinks ) for the day is bloody good value!
If you think it is too cheap so must be a scam, well **** you, bee keeping is expensive enough.

I run free monthly tuition at my home too, to any new members who want to 'gen up' on certain subject, but to new people who want a full day intensive tuition the above is an alternative.
And teach at monthly apiary meetings.

Last edited:
For what you are providing, that sounds cheap (or good value).

As someone who runs courses for a living I find that if you make them cheap or free you often get people turn up who are not really interested. There is also the psychological 'thing' that a free course must be no good - often 'charged for' courses have more attendees than free ones. Pre-payment of deposit also encourages attendance. Finally, it is good to have the possibility of waiving the fee in cases of genuine need.

As someone running the course, you will have costs to cover.

So, good for you Heather... sounds like you are working as a positive force for bee keeping.

Thank you.
Used to get about 20 applying, so did two 1 day courses, but now calmed down in numbers so may get 10. 2 tutors. Good value IMHO.
Certainly not in it for the money... will reimburse ourselves expenses and donate to B&LBKA also. Helps us buy new foundation for our teaching apiaries.
Just want to get people to have a good grounding in what is involved, pros and cons, etc before they get any bees. With what we teach, and mentoring, it does get them through those uncertain first 2 years.

Hi Heather,
All makes sense now. Running a good show there by the sound of it.

Been away.. Just seen all the replies. Scam?? Cheeky sod.

I am just a bee keeper who is happy to help any new people. With another very experienced bee keeper we spend a day (9-5) going from the basics with empty hive, explaining all that is involved with each part and extras thereof, colony content, disease, swarming -why and how to prevent or collect, to hygiene, honey production, demo'ing extraction, and much more. . Then we all go through some hives, usually with 2 groups of about 6 people to each, visually seeing all we have talked about

They get a 20 page A4 booklet to take away covering all we have discussed...AND I mentor for a year all who ask for my help as a follow up at no further charge. and the £40 (incl lunch and drinks ) for the day is bloody good value!
If you think it is too cheap so must be a scam, well **** you, bee keeping is expensive enough.

I run free monthly tuition at my home too, to any new members who want to 'gen up' on certain subject, but to new people who want a full day intensive tuition the above is an alternative.
And teach at monthly apiary meetings.

Good for you Heather. I hope your course goes well.

Tuition day went well.. 13 attended and all seemed pleased with the time spent. Email thank you's received. So much for the 'scam'! :p

Latest posts

Back