Slotted top bars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Anyone ever used these? The top bar has a slot cut along it's length, presumably to drop some foundation into. I've never seen these for sale but I've found them in old hives that turn up occasionally. Pros and cons? And why have they fallen out of popular use?

The pros are there are less cuts needed to manufacture the frame, and the cons are its a right farff slotting the foundation down (or up)and the frame is less stable, not having the usual inside shoulders at the bottom of the top bar for the side bars to but onto. I still have some in use, super frames only though, I've never seen a brood frame of that design.

mbc

Sorry but I can't visualise what you mean. Are you putting side bars 'upwards' with foundation on top of the standard Super config with the side bars and foundation hanging down?

Probably got it all wrong but I've been sketching layouts and can't understand how grooves on top can be used...

richard

I too have come across a fair few of these, I tried to reuse them however the foundation I had was too thick for the thin slot. I can tell you they make great kindling!;)

C B

The pros are there are less cuts needed to manufacture the frame, and the cons are its a right farff slotting the foundation down (or up)and the frame is less stable, not having the usual inside shoulders at the bottom of the top bar for the side bars to but onto. I still have some in use, super frames only though, I've never seen a brood frame of that design.

I found some brood frames last autumn but only seen super frames prior to that. Its the shallows that would interest me if made in Dadant/Langstroth dimensions. Every year I end up melting out lots of solid honey and Im looking for something quicker to deal with.

Mann Lake make them - available from Bee-equipment in UK but P&P high, collect only for large quantities. They are intended for Rite-cell plastic foundation in the wooden frame and are available for Langstroth deeps and mediums. The best made frames I have seen.
I imagine since you are commercial you may be able to buy a pallet or two direct. They also make frames for wax with a wedged top bar and in other sizes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back