Hive wood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. Would anyone know where i could find a supplier of wood planks to make national brood boxes. Softwood will be ok, ceder would be the best but may be too expensive. I looked online but could not find the correct size. I have made supers from softwood before and treated them with wood preserver, and the bees do not seem to mind. Regards Ianf. Isle of Islay.

You won't get the exact size 10×1 will be the close and you will have to cut down to size or glue two narrow boards together. I don't know anything about the Isle of Islay but a good builders merchant should stock 10×1 and definitely smaller sizes. PAR cedar is slightly more difficult to get.

Buy an 8 x 4 sheet of marine ply and you can make several out of this. The side bars can be cut down from pine boards.

I have one hive made out of ply, seems fine. You must seal the cut edges with either wood glue or a couple of coats of PVA.

These should be available at the nearest Builders Merchant, Would the nearest be Glasgow?

Mike

Buy an 8 x 4 sheet of marine ply and you can make several out of this. The side bars can be cut down from pine boards.

I have one hive made out of ply, seems fine. You must seal the cut edges with either wood glue or a couple of coats of PVA.

These should be available at the nearest Builders Merchant, Would the nearest be Glasgow?

Mike

I agree! I used exterior ply with marine paint on outside thou I eventually covered with insulation.

I've made a few from pallet wood. It's not difficult - run the planks across a table-router to get clean edges and, using exterior-grade (D4) glue, butt 'em together while it sets.
Fill any nail-holes with automotive body-filler, and then paint 'em. I use polyurethane floor paint, it's as good as anything.
With regular painting, they should be good for at least 10 years.

LJ

I make mine from redwood pallets, and don't glue them, just but up and screw together, any gaps on the inside fill with wax the bees will do the rest, the pallet struts make good stands.

Nice.

This is the last National brood I made:

2v01t3c.jpg

A 3-partition Timing Box - 100% pallet wood.

LJ

looks good
mine need thicker legs as they stay in the field all year, and surrounded by beasts most of year that's why they are strapped all year,

Back