Watch this video!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we do have neighbours. Not quite sure what you are getting at here as our bees are kept in out apiaries away from people. Even if they were kept in our garden what is your point? Are you saying that you consider that it is not safe to use in a back garden apiary?

For a back-garden apiary, I think it would raise 'concerns' with the neighbours which might well lead to the bees having to be moved to an out-apiary.

It ain't worth aggravating them. For a small number of hives, in a domestic garden, Oxalic 'trickling' is very nearly as effective, much cheaper, and zero nuisance to the neighbours downwind.

The Fat Beekeeper (I think that is his web name) is an expert of immensely long standing and although he got a minute whiff during that demo, that would almost certainly not have happened in normal circumstances. I suggest that all the doom and gloom mongers, many of whom have little or no experience of sublimation other than promulgating material from other doom mongers found whilst surfing, go away and do your own thing. Sublimation is safe, effective and, in the UK climate best practice for mid-winter IPM against varroa.

There are two evaporators I know of - Heilyser from Canada or Varrox from Thornes. Either are better than any DIY botchups that have appeared elsewhere on the internet, precisely because they are properly designed for beekeeepers with decent safety instructions included. Heilyser used to be the cheaper of the two but I believe they have stopped exporting?

Don't get me wrong Arfermo, I felt that the Fat Beekeeper gave a very good demonstration on how to use an Oxalic vaporiser. I was just surprised after reading all the posts on the forum to see him using the vaporiser without any protective equipment. If he feels it is safe to do so than so be it. I know that we will certainly be taking precautions to protect ourselves when using Oxalic acid in a vaporiser.

WHAT the F$@$ are we doing to these precious insects!
You have lost your sense of reality. Probably because you have too much money to spend on idiot ideas.
Shame on you!
These insects have survived for millennia!
You think you are so clever and advanced to Chaunter and giggle about shoving poisons upon them just as they face Winter!
You Are Not Beekeepers! Shame on you. Those who buy potions are killing us all!
The lazy who want a quick fix.
The supermarkets are riding your backs. The more you ask the more you and your children will get. Less and less food for your money. Little pots of nothing wrapped in plastic.
You are fools indeed and not fit to be guardians of the Bees.

You have lost your sense of reality. Probably because you have too much money to spend on idiot ideas.
Shame on you!
You think you are so clever and advanced to Chaunter and giggle about shoving poisons upon them just as they face Winter!
The supermarkets are riding your backs. The more you ask the more you and your children will get. Less and less food for your money. Little pots of nothing wrapped in plastic.

And you are talking from the nether orifice as most of you airy fairy 'natural beekeeping' types. Go away grow up and come back when you've learn it's not all daisy strewn cloud cuckoo land in the real bee world

Shame on you!

WARRE

says it all in reality

We get our well water ( our only supply) checked for Arsenic, Radon, Lead and Beryllium, and we have a filter to take out any noxious substances.

I wonder if the writer of the above missive has been drinking the pure unfiltered stuff, coming soon to every supermarket?

James

James

And you are talking from the nether orifice as most of you airy fairy 'natural beekeeping' types. Go away grow up and come back when you've learn it's not all daisy strewn cloud cuckoo land in the real bee world

Here here.

OK OK I apologise for my outburst. I should have said sensible things like, are we turning to chemicals too readily as has been the case in history. Is Autumn and Winter the right times? Haven't the bees overcome pests by themselves in the past millions of years, all be it that this one was brought in by man and his buying powers. Should we look more at providing cleaner, newer hives and frames? Stronger unstressed colonies not poisoned ones with inseminated Queens? Are these procedures necessary as routines? Are we treating the patient before the diagnoses? Are the chemicals too readily available, and being sold too readily?
Somewhere after testing my Elderflower, Bramble Tip and Raspberry wines, (whilst bottling them) 22 percent, I lost rational thinking. Please forgive me.
I know the experts have their views too.:redface:

I kind of agree, if varroa had come about naturally, then it would be wise to allow the bees to fight against it and develop their own defence, but seeing as we introduced it here, it came about unnaturally, therefore I think the bees would struggle to develop a defence, if you see what I mean. We fecked up. At great cost to bees.

Did you mean BEAT?

Lines for you sonny
write 40 times :

I must use spell check

James

Please Sir, I used one but it said the sentence was correct......didn't make sense but 'be' was spelt correctly :rolleyes:
Having spent the day writing reports, my brain had turned into mush, but the way some reply to perfectly innocent questions its obviously not as badly damaged as some!
S

. . . my Elderflower, Bramble Tip and Raspberry wines . . .

Careful! Your wine contains the extremely damaging chemical C2H5OH and we all know how dangerous chemicals are! You really shouldn't be putting this dreadful poison into your body.

Last edited:
Careful! Your wine contains the extremely damaging chemical C2H5OH and we all know how dangerous chemicals are! You really shouldn't be putting this dreadful poison into your body.

I've been dodging liver disease from that horrible chemical for years.

As for home cleaning chemicals - especially the stuff we use on toilets, no person against insecticides can surely clean their toilet with them? Or use detergents to wash their dishes. Or the Pill. Or drive a car let alone a diesel car.

It reminds me of the Greens who go on about CO2 issues and plastics etc.. and then post on the internet using a plastic keyboard driven by CO2 produced energy...and access Facebook using a mobile. And eat using foods produced with tractors.If they lived according to their principles, they should starve and be quiet about it.

Rant over for today.

Probably.....................but enjoying it, and, I am, poisoning myself. Belonging to a species that is not endangered. I dought the bees are pleasured whilst being trapped in their homes and at the very least, stressed. At this time of the year, at their most vulnerable.

It reminds me of the Greens who go on about CO2 issues and plastics etc.

I think there is a lot to be said for looking at our personal usage of the planets resources and trying to be less wasteful. It just frustrates me when the idiots argue from a completely unscientific viewpoint and don't understand why their opinion isn't valid. The whole chemical bad/natural good line of thought amuses me greatly, as 1) everything[\B] is chemical and 2) poo and arsenic are both naturally occurring, but you find many people arguing the benefits of eating them.

Being lectured on carbon emissions by Toyota Prius driving parents is a particular bugbear of mine. To paraphrase Doug Stanhope, I could drive around in a fleet of SUV's farting styrofoam packaging peanuts into the atmosphere and not have a chance of causing the environmental damage of you with your three kids.

Probably.....................but enjoying it, and, I am, poisoning myself. Belonging to a species that is not endangered. I dought the bees are pleasured whilst being trapped in their homes and at the very least, stressed. At this time of the year, at their most vulnerable.

There are a great many species that are endangered in this world including some species of bee; melifera melifera are not one of them unless you believe the nonsense put out by BBKA.
S

Latest posts

Back