oxalic acid respirator suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think it's best to just be safe and wear a suitable mask.

"Suitable" being a mask rated for dust particles.

Or even better - unless you've got hundreds of hives and need to use a multi-dosing system - stand well upwind, and operate your 'one-at-a-time' gear from a safe distance, well away from the problem. Just like you do (or should do) when setting off fireworks/ explosives/ other potentially dangerous substances.

by using a 12v battery vaporiser, because it takes a few seconds to warm up, you can connect, retire some distance away upwind, leave it to do it's work and come back 5 minutes later when it's all clear. One doesn't really need to stand over the hive during the application.

( if you've got hundreds of hives, even more reason to be away setting up the next one while one is vaporising.)

Last edited:
Moldex FFABEK1 5904 Disposable Half Mask FFABEK1 EN405:2001- Organic Inorganic Gas (Bp>65°C) Acid Ammonia Gases - [MO-5904]

I use one of those.

When I sublimated, I had an air flow visor. Perfecty adequate with the air intake pipe located up wind.

Long gone now, nicad batteries and it was already well-used at the time.

Little john is more on the money than our resident chemical handler. Just need to look at that little pile of powder and think of the temperature required to turn it into a vapour (162 C comes to mind); yes it is a solid at normal ambient temperatures!

Sensible to plan the work and take simple precautions (long, thick electrical leads and the switch/connection well up-wind. Just simple common sense precautions. Any proper PPE supplier should be able to offer the appropriate filter pack for any respirator. Not taking chances is simple common sense. Why over-complicate matters if only the odd hive to treat? A bit different if a multiple hive user, but they would not need to ask on a forum, as they would have taken proper advice already and not relied on getting sensible, reliable safety information on a forum such as c this.

This thread would have been better if it had simply asked where to get proper advice, not rely on the clearly up-wind, down-wind gaseous solids toxic/non-toxic replies such as on the previous 2 1/2 pages of contradictory 'advice'.

NASA have spare spacesuits I believe?

Just stay upwind of the hives for a couple of minutes and stop panicking - a slight sniff if you are unlucky is less of a problem than a portion of rhubarb. A multitude of veggies contain oxalic too, didn't yer know. Mbc's a idea worries me a trifle - please don't take him seriously as he's being orfly cynical again.

Last edited:
If the locals are close enough to see what you are up to, my personal feeling is that potentially exposing them to the vapours would … errr … not be a good thing to run any risk of, at all

Who said anything about wearing it at the apiary?! ;)

Oxalic acid, although recommended as a treatment, by midwinter trickling, is not something they actually use, particularly by sublimation. Oxalic is not even accepted as a varroacide (by the vets lot) and Defra?

I know when I was sublimating my bees and asked a question to my area inspector, he nearly blew a fuse! They simply had to 'toe the defra line' maybe, but I still rib him about it:D

RAB

thanks to everyone who made suggestions, very useful. however, i think ill use my scuba gear
with or without stilletos, that is the next question .......

Generic OA is not licensed!

But see my recent post, NBU now has changed it's position, because there are now two licensed products in the EU.

Latest posts

Back