oxalic acid respirator suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgehog66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A lot of nationals & 5 TBH
Not wanting to hijak the interesting thread already going about oxalic acid sublimation i would like advice on respirators
I have the oxalic acid, the evaporator and a rechargable battery, just need the PPE
I have looked on screwfix and there is a large array of respirators starting at £20
What should i be looking for
And what is the best value for money/ effective equipment available
Thanks
:hairpull:

Not wanting to hijak the interesting thread already going about oxalic acid sublimation i would like advice on respirators
I have the oxalic acid, the evaporator and a rechargable battery, just need the PPE
I have looked on screwfix and there is a large array of respirators starting at £20
What should i be looking for
And what is the best value for money/ effective equipment available
Thanks
:hairpull:

Hi Hedgehog66
The ordinary DIY dust masks will be of no use obviously.
The masks used for car spraying (for organic solvents) should be ok as they protect up to 1000ppm concentration. If the codes haven't changed since I got mine you need the spec of 4251 ffa1p2d.
Most trade car paint suppliers should be able to help and advise.
Regards

These are good, latest military issue which replaces the one in the bottom link, can be bought for various prices from new, to used and in good condition with new filters.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSR-gas-mask-Current-british-army-size-4-BRAND-NEW-/141443928422

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-British-Army-Gas-Mask-Size-2-Very-good-condition-/371169213709

Just checked your shortcuts. Those will never go with her stilettos! In fact they'll probably scare the sh1t out of the locals!:biggrinjester:

Was hoping for something in pink
To match the whip

These are good, latest military issue which replaces the one in the bottom link, can be bought for various prices from new, to used and in good condition with new filters.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSR-gas-mask-Current-british-army-size-4-BRAND-NEW-/141443928422

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-British-Army-Gas-Mask-Size-2-Very-good-condition-/371169213709

Yes, that's the sort of thing that the Oxalic-vaporisation enthusiasts at LASI choose to protect themselves with.

Remember that the vapour will attack the eyes as well as mouth, nose throat and lungs …

... Those will never go with her stilettos! In fact they'll probably scare the sh1t out of the locals!:biggrinjester:
If the locals are close enough to see what you are up to, my personal feeling is that potentially exposing them to the vapours would … errr … not be a good thing to run any risk of, at all.

I think the common sense advice is ordinary surgical gloves work down wind of hives so you don't get any fumes don't use on windy day, if you get any on you just rinse off with water keep out of eyes it stings a lot,If you are really worried just stuff some cotton wool up your nostrilsand either hold your breath or stuff a washing up sponge (the type with a green scourer on one side) in your mouth; but remember - don't get complacent you are working with a chemical after all !

I think the common sense advice is ordinary surgical gloves work down wind of hives so you don't get any fumes don't use on windy day, if you get any on you just rinse off with water keep out of eyes it stings a lot,If you are really worried just stuff some cotton wool up your nostrilsand either hold your breath or stuff a washing up sponge (the type with a green scourer on one side) in your mouth; but remember - don't get complacent you are working with a chemical after all !

Ahem - your boat didn't have sails did it? :biggrinjester:

Staying UP wind would be much safer!

Or did you advise sufferers to spew to windward? :)

/// BELATED realisation that you were (unstated) quoting another forum member in another thread. The punctuation should have been the give-away. (Even if I suspect you might, just occasionally, have advised someone to "spew to windward" … ;) )

Last edited:
Piss on a hanky should do it

Yes, that's the sort of thing that the Oxalic-vaporisation enthusiasts at LASI choose to protect themselves with.

Remember that the vapour will attack the eyes as well as mouth, nose throat and lungs …

If the locals are close enough to see what you are up to, my personal feeling is that potentially exposing them to the vapours would … errr … not be a good thing to run any risk of, at all.

AND KIDNEYS,

i was thinking of buying a paint spray mask 1000k as the varrox comes with quite a light E149 complient mask

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261189725289 this is what i was thinking

Last edited:
Use an electrical vapouriser with a long lead, and stay upwind of the hive(s) being treated. Then there's no need for a respirator, gloves, or any other HazMat precaution.
LJ

I did have a quick look thru the post about ffp sl , as you are aware they are for solid particles and liquid what about gasses ? as it is a gas we are looking at

:smilielol5::biggrinjester:
I can just see you now giving the demo to new beekeepers, I would put the sponge in you mouth last though

Back