This might sound silly but

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been reading up on cannabis oil every now and again on the internet and its benefits for medicinal purposes and even to the extent of curing cancer! I know this plant is very controversial and most of the old folk have a very conservative (dont know if thats the right term)view of it and wish to see it to continue to be banned, me however thinks the opposite and would like to see it legal, esp for medical users.

I know there's quite a few old folk on here who's set in their ways of thinking, and would probably think I'm crazy asking such a question but if they did their own research on this plant, that mindset would change and know this plant has its benefits which brings me onto my next question, I'm curious to know has there been any studies out there about bee keepers making honey out of the cannabis plant pollen for medicinal purposes.

Edit.. Not that I'm looking to make cannabis honey on these shores because of the legality surrounding this great plant!

Last edited:
I don't have issues with Cannabis per say. What I have issues with is the stuff kids are taking these days.

I see every day the problems the stuff causes. we have pupils that now have real physiological issues due to the strength of the cannabis that they smoke.

I am aware of the benefits that it can have with people like myself that have real long term pain issues (I don't use it) and wish it were used to help them without the risk of prosecution.

I believe there are some trials being done with medical cannabis and the plant used for this is grown in the uk but under very strict guidelines and under great secrecy. I do hope the trials work as I for one hate taking opiate based medication on a long term basis.

Im not sure how we could advertise honey produced from the plant as you would probably get all sorts of strange people making stupid claims about it.

Last edited:
I don't have issues with Cannabis per say. What I have issues with is the stuff kids are taking these days.

I see every day the problems the stuff causes. we have pupils that now have real physiological issues due to the strength of the cannabis that they smoke.

I am aware of the benefits that it can have with people like myself that have real long term pain issues (I don't use it) and wish it were used to help them without the risk of prosecution.

I believe there are some trials being done with medical cannabis and the plant used for this is grown in the uk but under very strict guidelines and under great secrecy. I do hope the trials work as I for one hate taking opiate based medication on a long term basis.

Im not sure how we could advertise honey produced from the plant as you would probably get all sorts of strange people making stupid claims about it.

Trials have been done in the US/Canada and so on for medicinal purposes and have been proven to cure cancer. There's even a guy who has had a 100% success rate with his studies yet the authorities didn't want to know because it conflicted with big pharma business. Go watch run from the cure on YouTube about this Canadian guy who's been curing cancer with it. I'm very interested to know has there been any bee studies with this plant thou.

Not an expert on the subject you understand, but......
They do say there are a lot of good medicinal uses for it (easily Googled). The trouble starts when 'users', use it too much. It's not just the paranoia that seems to be reported and the adverse affect on mental health that is the whole story.
I have known people that smoked too much of the stuff, (allegedly) and basically they ended up doing nothing all day as it tends to relax most TOO much. The government doesn't want a population that sits around all day thinking , "I know how to solve the worlds problems, the answer is so obvious" , and then forget all about it the next day.
Nothing would get done they think!
You probably know that at one time it was freely available as 'reefers' at chemists. Now I was told that during the1st world war the soldiers smoked it and then didn't want to fight. So they banned it.
Now whether that is true or not I don't know and haven't 'Googled' it, but if your interested it may be worth the time.
Might have a look later. I would guess that the real reason that the law doesn't change on this is that it is a risk changing the law it case it goes 'base over apex' and which politician wants to take a risk like that and kiss his career goodbye.
Regards:)

Sativex is available here in the UK for MS sufferers.

One problem I envisage is that if you planted Cannabis plants for your bees to forage on plod would nick you!

One problem I envisage is that if you planted Cannabis plants for your bees to forage on plod would nick you!

Only if in small fields hidden from site, if hundreds of acres of it were planted in fields alongside the M5 or other such motorways i doubt it would even be noticed by plod.

Quite possibly,
In the late sixties I had a friend whose little boy "went missing"
The police, when they arrived fairly pronto, happily searched through their garden full of head high cannabis plants.......completely hidden in plain sight.

I might be wrong but I thought cannabis was wind pollinated. I was informed it is related to the hop plant. You could always tell the 'old bill' that you were thinking of opening your own brewery! (or just offer them and ounce!)
(Allegedly!):spy:

Not an expert on the subject you understand, but......
They do say there are a lot of good medicinal uses for it (easily Googled). The trouble starts when 'users', use it too much. It's not just the paranoia that seems to be reported and the adverse affect on mental health that is the whole story.
I have known people that smoked too much of the stuff, (allegedly) and basically they ended up doing nothing all day as it tends to relax most TOO much. The government doesn't want a population that sits around all day thinking , "I know how to solve the worlds problems, the answer is so obvious" , and then forget all about it the next day.
Nothing would get done they think!
You probably know that at one time it was freely available as 'reefers' at chemists. Now I was told that during the1st world war the soldiers smoked it and then didn't want to fight. So they banned it.
Now whether that is true or not I don't know and haven't 'Googled' it, but if your interested it may be worth the time.
Might have a look later. I would guess that the real reason that the law doesn't change on this is that it is a risk changing the law it case it goes 'base over apex' and which politician wants to take a risk like that and kiss his career goodbye.
Regards:)

The reason why this plant is illegal isn't because it can get people high, its because its so good at curing sickness and is major competition against other things like fuel/cotton etc.. And defiantly not banned because people wouldn't fight in WW1 lol.

And have to point out that for every one you know that smokes it and doesn't move, I'd prob know 10 who smokes it and works even better thou depending on what strain they smoke. You see there's 100s different strains ranging from knock out highs to the opposite end ofbtge scale. I don't smoke it myself for legal reasons but have done in the past for pain relief and hopefully one day I'll be able to in my own country without fear of prosecution. There's politicians here in Ireland who have been calling for it to be legal but these backward leaders in this country fall for fall the negative press against it.

Hopefully now that its legal in many states in America and Canada that some beeks over there start making honey from the pollen of this plant because im very interested to see the outcome.

I might be wrong but I thought cannabis was wind pollinated. I was informed it is related to the hop plant. You could always tell the 'old bill' that you were thinking of opening your own brewery! (or just offer them and ounce!)
(Allegedly!):spy:

I think it is the same as Hemp which i believe is a close relative of cannabis, i was told it was no use to the bees, but on a slightly different tack my bees loved the pollen from hundreds of acres of Opium poppy's not more than 20 yards away

Yes but that aint pure organic cannabis, that's the pharma grade where they can make money from it. You see cannabis is a plant and you can't patent a plant hence why the pharma companies can't make money from it. That sativex isn't as effective as the real stuff. I may add, my mothers 84 yr old aunt had MS and smoke this stuff and it was like night and day when she could get hold of it and not.

Well I worked for a chap who never stopped going on about this showed me all the you tube videos and told me all the conspiracy theories on why governments and big business wanted to keep it quiet. He even had a nice plant in his greenhouse and had his distilling machine or at least that's what Iu think it was to concentrate the oil. I don't know if he has developed a cancer cure if he has he is keeping it to himself. Anyway the last thing the people want who grow the stuff is pollination that's partly why they grow it in controlled conditions.

the cancer curing bit is a snake oil story but cannabis has its benefits for patients with Multiple sclerosis and chronic pain, but so does Morphine and heroin and psylocibin in magic mushrooms would help certain types of depression. That the pharma industry is not vested in it is not true and anyone who wants can even buy stocks in companies who are involved in it (Insys Therapeutics, GW Pharmaceuticals and Cannabis Science to name a few).

Coming from a country that is a bit more liberal towards drug use than the UK, I have tried many things in my time and weed is the more harmless one of them. just like alcohol it has its dangers and 1 in so many develops dependency or psychosis. that weed is getting stronger does not help but that on its own is no reason to criminalize it.
I am pro decriminalization for the use of ALL psychotropic substances and a controlled distribution by the state. in that way, there is no money in it for the mob, some revenue for the state and you can follow users more closely and intervene appropriately. seems like they are going that way for tobacco anyways so why not for cannabis? Who cares if someone ruins its health with drugs? millions do that legally everyday with alcohol, tobacco and fat every day and we do not care. So why do we care about artificially classified substances then?

I think it is the same as Hemp which i believe is a close relative of cannabis, i was told it was no use to the bees, but on a slightly different tack my bees loved the pollen from hundreds of acres of Opium poppy's not more than 20 yards away

hemp and cannabis are one and the same thing. the one for hemp is just a variety with low THC content and one that shoots up for long fibers.

hemp and cannabis are one and the same thing. the one for hemp is just a variety with low THC content and one that shoots up for long fibers.

Yes i have seen hemp plants growing and they do look identical to me.

Most growers I believe grow feminized plants or grub out male plants early in the growing cycle if grown from seed as the female plants are useless if they become fertilised.

the cancer curing bit is a snake oil story but cannabis has its benefits for patients with Multiple sclerosis and chronic pain, but so does Morphine and heroin and psylocibin in magic mushrooms would help certain types of depression. That the pharma industry is not vested in it is not true and anyone who wants can even buy stocks in companies who are involved in it (Insys Therapeutics, GW Pharmaceuticals and Cannabis Science to name a few).

Coming from a country that is a bit more liberal towards drug use than the UK, I have tried many things in my time and weed is the more harmless one of them. just like alcohol it has its dangers and 1 in so many develops dependency or psychosis. that weed is getting stronger does not help but that on its own is no reason to criminalize it.
I am pro decriminalization for the use of ALL psychotropic substances and a controlled distribution by the state. in that way, there is no money in it for the mob, some revenue for the state and you can follow users more closely and intervene appropriately. seems like they are going that way for tobacco anyways so why not for cannabis? Who cares if someone ruins its health with drugs? millions do that legally everyday with alcohol, tobacco and fat every day and we do not care. So why do we care about artificially classified substances then?

A snake oil business that the fella gives away for free! There are many more proven cases out there on the net where others have cured their own kids tumors with it. You just need to search and you'll see this.

And defiantly not banned because people wouldn't fight in WW1 lol.

The guy who told me was probably stoned at the time though!

And have to point out that for every one you know that smokes it and doesn't move, I'd prob know 10 who smokes it and works even better thou depending on what strain they smoke.

Oh, put me down for some then! LOL:)

Last edited:
[QUOTE: You see cannabis is a plant and you can't patent a plant hence why the pharma companies can't make money from it.

You can patent a plant if you genetically modify it.

[QUOTE: You see cannabis is a plant and you can't patent a plant hence why the pharma companies can't make money from it.

You can patent a plant if you genetically modify it.

You can patent a GM seed, not a plant.

Latest posts

Back