Feeding..Is it any Wonder.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think in terms of how do they survive when they swarm?
Yes but beginners don't tend to think that far ahead. They have probably waited to get their bees and want to make absolute sure that they don't have the slightest chance of starving. Where they need help is to what constitutes adequate stores at appropriate times of year rather than often unhelpful advice of 'check stores'.

Yes but beginners don't tend to think that far ahead

What we are talking about is being told by an association that BEES MUST BE FED. Not "because we steal all the bees honey we must feed them".

Nothing to do with thinking ahead.....I was refering to swarms that find a new natural home not those that are rehoused.

I have splits and swarms that I have been given or collected and have never fed them.

In August my observation hive had very little in the way of stores.They had eaten what they had stored, but since then they have filled in total about three of the four frames, and are still bringing it in now that there is less brood. Last year they went into winter with far less than they will this year and they still had a lot of it left in March.....then they started flying again and ate the rest of it while collecting new stuff.

So exactly what is the problem with too much feed? It ensures they won't starve over winter, they'll consume it anyway, you'll save on fondant costs, and they'll have space enough in early spring.

Wouldn't want to buy any jars of honey of you, most likely be a jar of sugar water I'd say

So exactly what is the problem with too much feed? It ensures they won't starve over winter, they'll consume it anyway, you'll save on fondant costs, and they'll have space enough in early spring.
None to me. The bees normally stop taking the food once they have enough in anyway.

By Spring most of the frames will be empty and if you go about it smartly none of the leftovers should end up in your honey crop.

Last edited:
None to me. The bees normally stop taking the food once they have enough in anyway.

By Spring most of the frames will be empty and if you go about it smartly none of the leftovers should end up in your honey crop.

You can never guarantee sugar water doesn't end up in the crop

Any new beekeeper googling will find an orthodoxy on all manner of subjects
from matchsticks to springfeeding.

The "other" forum has this in its library
"Only when the nectar flow starts should feeding be stopped when it is obvious on inspection that the stores are being replenished adequately. "

The National Bee unit is more balanced http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadNews.cfm?id=121

True they may need feeding to be ready for the April OSR, but I don't have rape so they can bloody well look after themselves unless it is a harsh winter.

You can never guarantee sugar water doesn't end up in the crop
True, but you can do a lot to limit the chances. So what will you do to prevent your bees flying to your neighbour's hives/feeders or old abandoned hives and coming back with their tummies full of syrup. Or the nearest bakery/factory, or somebodies soda can, etc?

So nobody really can. We all just do our best.

What we are talking about is being told by an association that BEES MUST BE FED. Not "because we steal all the bees honey we must feed them".

'''.

I am afraid to say I find beekeeping full of lots of very pleasant and knowledgeable people .. but often their learning appeared to stop about 15 years ago..and much of it (matchsticks) etc is carp.

If the BBKA wanted to win some much needed credibility, they should issue up to date guidelines.

But alas their monthly production is just as bad.. full of outdated and often contradictory rubbish..(but also some good stuff)

(The existence of this forum - and its size vis-a-vis their own - just shows how far behind the curve the BBKA are. They are frankly a disgrace and an embarrassment.)

Rant over.

True, but you can do a lot to limit the chances. So what will you do to prevent your bees flying to your neighbour's hives/feeders or old abandoned hives and coming back with their tummies full of syrup. Or the nearest bakery/factory, or somebodies soda can, etc?

So nobody really can. We all just do our best.

All true you can never be sure, but the least we can do is stop purposely feeding our bees processed sugar and water

f.

You don't need to steal all their honey if you manage to stop them swarming. The key to a surplus is swarm management, not feeding, which actually causes it much of the time. Unless you're in a desert somewhere like the Bedouin "honey" I read about. BBKA will change and this forum is at the edge of beekeeping I think.

Doubt it, they've had plenty of chances and they just haven't bothered - too entrenched in their own twisted dogma

Leading or cutting edge maybe :D

I meant "bleading edge", yes; incredible what I've learnt here. But it is leaking (beeking) out more broadly. I still bite my tongue, being v new, though, eg at meetings.

I meant "bleading edge", yes; incredible what I've learnt here. But it is leaking (beeking) out more broadly. I still bite my tongue, being v new, though, eg at meetings.

I remember the horror I was greeted with when I asked about polyhives in 2010 in my first six months... Now the Association has some...

We still have a few oldies at our association but none of them teach beekeeping

Feed, feed and feed until they take no more, and then feed feed and feed again in the Spring!

I put on an extra brood box with undrawn frames at the end of August when the feeding begins, these drawn out frames filled with best cane sugar and like gold dust when making up the Spring rush of Nuc boxes.

Never buy the heavenly processes inverted feed products, far too expensive, sugar is nearer the bees natural nectar sources!

James

Latest posts

Back