More good news for the beekeepers of Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Thought I'd phrase it that way as not to offend any of our non indigenous residents (although I'm sure the usual snide comments will start shortly. :D)

Had a phonecall this morning from an acqaintance and local landowner - he's in the process of applying for Glastir Advanced element (For those who don't know it's a sustainable land management scheme for Wales - probably some kind of equivalent in the rest of the United Kingdom.) status.
Application forms for all these land stewardship schemes have always asked whether you have beehives on the land (a statistics collecting exercise more than anything) But the new forms for the Advanced scheme published a few days ago actually states that if you have an apiary on your land you will be given priority in the selection process :hurray::party:
Anyway, the outcome was Dai was wondering whether I would consider keeping some bees on his land - after a bit of coaxing I said that I would try and find a suitable site within his 100 or so acres of land adjoining the Black Mountain - after a lot of coaxing I agreed and have provisionally selected a spot which has a navigable rough track leading up to it, the nearest serious (a good few hundred, maybe a thousand or so acres) heather being err, about five feet from the apiary :D

So to all beeks in Wales near Glastir eligible land be aware! maybe the time has come again when landowners will be asking for beekeepers rather than us always having to do the begging!

If anyone knows what the equivalent scheme in England is that would be good to know.

find a suitable site within his 100 or so acres of land adjoining the Black Mountain - after a lot of coaxing I agreed and have provisionally selected a spot which has a navigable rough track leading up to it, the nearest serious (a good few hundred, maybe a thousand or so acres) heather being err, about five feet from the apiary :D

That's what I need.....not your site, of course, but something similar.
Off to google Glastir sites :)

I love heather honey....I have to buy it from other beekeepers.

If anyone knows what the equivalent scheme in England is that would be good to know.

Quick google and search of Natural England website doesn't look promising. Looks like a Welsh programme.

Do the apiaries need to be permanent? Would migratory heather sites count?

Not sure - not much detail on the forms I believe (Dai would have told me - he's an expert on Glastir having been employed by WG on a temporary basis as Glastir advisor) Try a search for one of the stewardship schemes in England. This all stems I think from the Welsh government Pollinator plan, so the rest may catch on eventually.

Is there a basic element? I'm trying to understand / figure out what the comparable English level is so I can check whether this is just a Welsh scheme or a part of the European scheme.

Is there a basic element? I'm trying to understand / figure out what the comparable English level is so I can check whether this is just a Welsh scheme or a part of the European scheme.

Have a look at any land stewardships schemes see if they have anything similar - glastir is primarily for les favoured area/highland pastures etc.

Does the possible cut in NRW's funding compromise this scheme?

Does the possible cut in NRW's funding compromise this scheme?

Nothing to do with NRW - they're just an useless not fit for purpose department set up to replace three quangoes which were, well, useless and not fit for...........

In reply to WessexMario there are 3 schemes in England which will be somewhat similar to the environmental schemes in Wales.

ELS Entry Level Stewardship
UELS Upland Entry Stewardship
HLS Higher Level Stewardship

These schemes pay farmers to manage their farming enterprises to the benefit of the environment by improving the habitats for flora and fauna.

The LEAF Marque (Linking the Environment and Farming) is an assurance scheme which farmers and growers have to belong to and be assessed to supply Waitrose and other supermarkets. LEAF have just introduced a recommendation that states,
"Are bees and pollinators part of your key species in the Whole Farm Conservation Plan?"

So bees not only honey but other species are being greatly promoted as it is now recognised of their importance in food production.

Hope this helps

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back