What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that nectar or rain droplets? ;)
Lashing down here but driving to the Mumbles this morning, noticed (in a queue of traffic) a small patch of Balsam and a heavily dusted honey bee doing her job. :)
Yep still one or two bees here working the last of the balsam

Quick check of the bees after the rain stopped this afternoon, all the hives were heaving with bees making the most of the last of the ivy before the weather gets colder.

Went in the drizzle to take off all the feeders but three colonies still taking syrup down so left those. Later the sun came out and the bees were queuing up at the reduced entrances with heavy pollen loads. I put the hens away half an hour ago and the Ivy in the garden was still buzzing.

I got in late from work tonight and it was dark when I went round to the hens and the hives .. it wasn't cold and there must have been a 100 or so bees having a party on the landing board of one of the polyhives and the periscope entrance of my long hive was also full of bees ...I assume that there was a bit of fanning going on judging by the smell of ivy around the hives ... it was nearly 30 degrees inside the long hive ... 15 degrees outside.

I got in late from work tonight and it was dark when I went round to the hens and the hives .. it wasn't cold and there must have been a 100 or so bees having a party on the landing board of one of the polyhives and the periscope entrance of my long hive was also full of bees ...I assume that there was a bit of fanning going on judging by the smell of ivy around the hives ... it was nearly 30 degrees inside the long hive ... 15 degrees outside.
Same here, mine were going mad all day, sounded like it was the middle of summer.

Last night there were lots of bees hanging round the entrances fanning.

Finally put the mouse guards on today. Topped up the rapid feeders with some more invert syrup on the lighter hives which are still taking it down. Added a big lump of yorkstone to each roof in case of autumnal high winds.

Then sat in the sunshine and watched the pollen piling in. Most hives still have the bright yellow ivy pollen going in but a few others are bringing in a predominately pale yellow pollen.

Laminated my 5/5 rating sticker from my environmental health visit last week ready for taking to the farmers market, should I be asked about it!

It's all winding down nicely.

Spent the day at the farmers market. Made just under £200 with my lime honey. Can't be bad for a mornings work!
E

I was down at the hives today for a look. Plenty of activity still, ivy pollen arriving by the basket-full! While I was watching one hive entrance I clearly saw a drone emerge and fly off. It's the latest I've ever seen a drone active. Any other drone sightings?

Only 9c this morning when I went out to see what was going on there was a lot of activity and ivy pollen by the basket load. Lots being knocked off by the mouse guards.

This afternoon a cluster/queue at the reduced entrance.

Forecast is for over 10c for the next 10 days, I just hope they're bringing in more than they're consuming.

I've been away for a while in Lithuania. Not been near a hive for a couple of weeks.

It was good to see that the hives on the Cathedral roof had survived the gales last week. And I briefly opened my own hives to dose them with the second lot of Thymovar.

It was good to have a bit of contact and a natter with the little darlings.

Dusty

We are waiting for the snow. This apiary site is planned to be reduced the most in spring.

Last edited:
Removed feeders (which was a waste of time putting them on) put insulation on and shut them down for winter. Still lots of orange and yellow pollen coming in even in the drizzle.

Watched bees bringing in heavy loads of pollen.
I was joined by a Merlin who sat on a gate post and shared the view with me for a minute or two.
Wonderful bird. I was sure I had caught a glimpse of him flying once or twice over the bird tables but it was a real treat to have him sit so close to me in the apiary.

Quick visible check on the apiary to check all hives were okay, and not blown over, moderate activity from all hives. A few bees past me by closely as I watched from a distance!

I've been creaming all week, creamed for 15 minutes, left it stand for two days, and repeated three times, and today, finally jarred up. (I must say it looks very good!), it's now in a cool place, waiting to set.

Apart from that, I've been cleaning down all the honey kit, buckets, sieves, stirrer, and packing away for next year. I've also put away all the "poly jar safes" I purchased from the Thornes Sale, so I'll be ready for this years "Honey Club" members, Honey by Post before Chrimbo!

With frost on the horizon just popped out to rotate the P*ynes entrance block into its anti-mouse position - quite a good design I think

5029839059183.jpg

Removed feeders from two colonies. Both hives very heavy now (with very little feeding from me). Can't wait to remove the feeders from the angry colonies :-(

With frost on the horizon just popped out to rotate the P*ynes entrance block into its anti-mouse position - quite a good design I think

5029839059183.jpg

Langstroth designed it.. in the 19th century...

5029839059183.jpg

Yes, but not enough holes for my lot, so I still have to use the home made one?

Latest posts

Back