what's in Apifuge or fabispray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i have not really having used much the artificial bee calming sprays such as Apifuge or Fabi-spray, but i want to find out more about them becasue one of our members uses the sprays like they are the best thing lie sliced bread

So does any one know what the active chemicals are in the sprays apifuge and fabi-spray?

i was wondering what the residue in the honey harvest would be and effect on brood and bees

i know they all say Eco friendly, doesn't harm bees and or honey but i prefer to check the chemical for my self rather than take the word of the chemical company selling me a product, i dont want to use them myself just curious

Last edited:
i have not really having used much the artificial bee calming sprays such as Apifuge or Fabi-spray, but i want to find out more about them becasue one of our members uses the sprays like they are the best thing lie sliced bread

Wine with your dinner?

Fabispray is Not bee calming! I have it in my arsenal as a last resort. If I have an angry hive and I want to get them down to put it back together and smoke isn't shifting them the fabispray comes out. One squirt and they dive into the hive and I can get the crown board and roof back on but.......they pile out of the front in attack mode. Maybe it is because i only ever use it on angry hives. I also use it to mask queen scents after a swarm. I also use it to stop bees settling I wall cavities after a swarm, but honestly...... I would say my bees are not in any way calmed by it! I had it in my pocket once and when I bent down I emptied hLf the canister without realising. It didn't leave calm bees!!! Oh and I had a wet leg! I use it as an emergency only. I do suggest you have it with you at all times but I prefer smoke or water!
E

Enrico,
Ever tried air freshener or underarm deodorant? Sorts dogs and cats out I hear !!!

Mind you I know your problem - most of mine can be a bit nasty (as yesterday) which I blame on the local drones in this very rural area. Still hoping to buy in or cadge some calmer queens but am sure the drones will still be a problem in the longer term.

Last edited:
Fabispray is Not bee calming! …

Apifuge is a bee repellant. (One notable use is for clearing supers.)
AFAIK Fabispray is used to scent-mask the bees pheromones and colony odour (for example, some swear by it for combining colonies). It might reduce a 'defensive' reaction by masking the alarm pheromones, but doesn't directly calm the bees.

// And no, I've no idea either what might be in them!

I've often used fabispray to clear bees from the reservoir of an empty Miller feeder so I could refill in situ....it's got an acetone odour.

Latest posts

Back