Poly Hive in beecraft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim1606

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
PH,

Good article, and well written.

Have just bought 4, and after reading what you had to say i think i may be convert. not worthy

:iagree:

And to add my twopenneth to the woodpecker paragraph, I've had plenty of woodpecker problems with mine (Swienty), but probably no better or worse than with my wooden hives.

Just read it too. PH good read and well thought out!

Ps will you sign my copy not worthy

Just read that with a cuppa. Very tempted to get a poly hive next season. Enjoyed the article. How did you manage so many colonies whilst working off shore?

Looking forward to reading it tonight saw it on side at lunchtime but had to rush in and out so didnt get chance to open it.

Excellent read, and I too have been considering poly for a while, despite negativity from others in local association. Perhaps I'll try one next year, and see how I get on, as long as it is compatible with nationals, as I don't want to spend a fortune, and I want to make the most of what I have already spent a fortune on!

I'm using poly hives made by Lyson for last 20 years and they are best quality, even too hard for woodpecker:cool:

Very good article PH... I know what's going to be on this year's Christmas list...

Also saw that forum member Keith Pierce was a photographic competition winner with a beautiful shot of his apiary in winter...

Ben P

Will go to Beecraft stand at honey Show today to look.

Also Polyhive's 40Litre bait hive recommendation backed up at short lecture yesterday by Professor Tom Seely.

Our own Aluminium Polyhive!! :cool:

He should be getting commission from the hive suppliers as well. I have been using them since I started keeping bees , only problem I find with the Swienty ones is you standard hive is 3 boxes , most of mine were on 4 or 5 by the end of August which means buying more boxes ( you may not be expecting it if you were used to timber) . Queens laying across 2 brood chambers , one queen on 14 frames of eggs & larvae. The photo was taken on the 10 June 11. On top of that If I were putting them out for bait hives I would leave the varroa insert in until the bees have taken up residence. This year everything that entered any of my bait hives gave preference to the solid floor. I had both out with solid & open mesh floors , they all went for the solid floors

Last edited:
How do you find running it on 2 brood boxes? I was going to start on a standard brood with medium's for honey. Are you using brood boxes for honey too?

Many thanks to every one posting on this thread.

14 frames of brood? Only?? Get after it with your hive tool....they should happily have 20+ on two brood boxes. ;)

PH

Many thanks to every one posting on this thread.

14 frames of brood? Only?? Get after it with your hive tool....they should happily have 20+ on two brood boxes. ;)

PH

Irish bees AMM on langstroth frames not the robust ones you guys have. See if you can find that in a timber national box!!!!!

How do you find running it on 2 brood boxes? I was going to start on a standard brood with medium's for honey. Are you using brood boxes for honey too?

I find if I don't the queen doesn't have enough of space even on the langstroth frames. I am using all the same size frames , I know the boxes are heavy end of season but its only for a few weeks . The queen excluder keeps the top boxes clear of brood for extracting honey

drstitson;183970donate the subs to the forum and get the wisdom of PH for free!!!![/QUOTE said:
I have to concede he is definitely wiser than me.

I have never yet figured out how to get 20+ frames of brood into a double lang deep...................<G>

Back