Number of Beekeepers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Not sure if it was mentioned on Hive Alive or another programme I watched within the last few days, but mention was made that there are now 25% less beeks than there was ????? years ago.

Surely a more relevant figure is the number of hives there are/was and not the number of people who look after them.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Potts_et_al_2010_JAR.pdf

this data goes upto 2005 stumbled across it a while ago.

I thought the trend had been several decades of decline, followed by significant increase during the last decade. Is this wrong?

I thought the trend had been several decades of decline, followed by significant increase during the last decade. Is this wrong?

It's gone up, not sure it's up to levels where people were more rural.

I think the decline can be partly attributed to the big peak in beekeeping/keepers of bees during the war due to the sugar allowances with people giving up then in the next few decades

Talking to the chap in my local beekeeping supply store, the numbers in the last few years have been dropping off again. People realising that beekeeping in and of itself isn't going to save the world.

Urban beekeeping has increased dramatically as it is seen as eco friendly, may not account for an overall increase as possibly countered by the larger decline in the countryside.

Urban-hive-home-installed-London-high-rise

Some apiary they have there...nice suit

article-2021108-0D406FFE00000578-95_634x505.jpg

Latest posts

Back