How late is the last swarm ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorrick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was called today (Sunday) at 9.00am to be asked if I could go to a local village and remove a swarm that had just arrived (early)? I thought it was well past swarming season over here in Suffolk weather here really hot and so humid I recon you could swim in it if you were light enough, we had, as most people I think some huge thunder and lightning storms here last night would that have anthing to do with it. It show what goes around comes around, I have made up for my swarm that got away:)
Regards
Richard

Swarm from one of my own hives today so still going strong here. My fault really as lime is just taking up all the room and I have no more empty supers so can't blame them! This one is out of reach at top of willow tree so......farewell my beauties! Just stay out of my rood space!
E

Had to collect a swarm from Dawlish Council Offices last week but apart from that no swarms from my hives or callouts for the last three to four weeks.

Lost a small swarm fro one of my hives last Friday but had to wave them goodby as I have not even got a spare nuc box let alone a spare hive

Picked up a small bunch of bees once, in frosty weather late November or early December. Never checked for a queen, even. All my colonies were long 'gone to bed'. Was that late enough?

Picked up a small bunch of bees once, in frosty weather late November or early December. Never checked for a queen, even. All my colonies were long 'gone to bed'. Was that late enough?

You could have asked for a queen for Christmas, would have been interesting to see what you ended up with. :)

Not over yet I'm afraid ... keep checking for QC's ... I am ! Been caught out once this year - that's enough ... will have enough kit by next week to cope if the little beggars do decide it's time again ! (Thank you birthday !!).

Most of mine (that aren't in nucs) have been backfilling the brood nests for the last couple of weeks. They have plenty of super space and all but one have new Queens so I'm hoping that's the end of swarming for this year.

Mind you, last year one lot tried to flit at the back end of August so whilst they're all back down to a 10 day rota I'm trying to avoid complacency. Lull false security sense into of a, and all that. :)

Swarm from one of my own hives today so still going strong here. My fault really as lime is just taking up all the room and I have no more empty supers so can't blame them! This one is out of reach at top of willow tree so......farewell my beauties! Just stay out of my rood space!
E

Freudian slip! Should have said roof space!!?,:)

E

Willow. light branches... long thin rope, with weight on end. Lob over and use both ends to pull branch down. Get swarm.

September swarms are common... people feeding too much for winter too soon.
People read the literature but do not take local conditions and microclimates into condition.

The latest swarm I have collected was the first week in October.

Thanks for all the info, the swarm is comfortably ensconced in a new hive, with a frame of brood to hopefully keep them from fleeing and having a feed at the moment as I do not have any old comb to put in to help them get a start so feeding them a bit to help them get some comb drawn out. Hopefully the weather will stay warm for a few weeks more.

Thanks everyone

Richard

Latest posts

Back