Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get a good look at the mites, will do so later when the show is on iPlayer.

Bee lice another possibility maybe?

There was a lot of the mites, and the comb looked crumbly, but if they'd been there all that time, they must be happy. My favourite bit was the info about flowers. I knew they presented as landing pads with the dark centres but I didn't know about about the electro magnetic fields - or about the magnetic crystal inside bees brains!

A pretty good programme although I doubt we were the target audience. I suspect we'll all get questions from friends and family.

Did you notice the incorrect graphic that accompanied the waggle dance explanation - showed the angle of the dance path measured against north rather than the direction of the sun. I think Martha did the voice-over and she should have known better. I'm being picky - it was a good programme that fulfills the BBC's Public Role of promoting education and learning and probably of more interest to Beekeepers, by the presence of Adam Hart and Chris Packham, than The Wonder of Bees.

CVB

Seemed to be rather small entrances on those hives.

I made my family watch, and every so often they looked over at me in awe! Except Arran, my youngest, he has to listen to me babble on and just kept saying " I knew that " lol

Deliberate, to make spotting the marked workers toing and froing !
VM

Btw, do they not fan their nasanov gland when they are riled up too? I seem to remember being told so, but I may have got it wrong.

Well.... I quite enjoyed that, inaccuracies notwithstanding. Pity that smug Packam didn't get a hit on the nose though......maybe in the out-takes.

LOL Erichalfbee! I agree, I was just waiting for him to get stung. That other guy got stung sticking that camera in the tree, why could he?! *pouts* I can't wait for next week! ;)

bloody missed it

oh blinking heck! I missed it. Happened to be miles from a tv and have no way of watching that episode again and blinking iplayer does not play here in Ireland. I wonder if it will be on YT soon???:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

After watching so much tripe on television , I found this program fascinating .
well worth the licence fee, Oh! I forget! I don't pay for mine being an old Git.
VM

What's this licence fee!!! it's a new one on me :D

May have double posted..apologies if so
Anyway, Chris took one on the nose but apparently I can't post a link because I've not posted enough... So google 'Packham stung on nose'
By the way he took it in a much more stoic fashion than most,
Annoyed about the N rather than sun on graphic...

Great programme, really enjoyed it. Shame about Packham and Kierney - can the BBC not find more talented presenters than those two?

what is a vpn?

Annoyed about the N rather than sun on graphic...

A small point ... and it would take a beekeeper to notice.

A very good program - vastly better than Martha Kearney's previous effort. I learnt some things and the photography was just stunning ... some of the music was a bit dire - I've a son who is a composer and I'd love him to put some proper music to some of the bee sequences ... just enthralling images.

Can't wait for the next program. Well done BBC.

Yes - couldn't get my head around 'Marche Militaire La Ronde' for the orientation flights - bugger all to do with flying really - just tenuous flying link with the filum 'where eagles dare'. Loads better music out there

Latest posts

Back