Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Heads up in case no one seen it advertised.

Ben

Watching now - the observation hive seems to have a lot of sealed drone cells. Hope this is not live - surely late for drone cells!

What were those mites crawling over the wild bees comb?

I wondered myself, seen many little bugs when they do there close up videoing very interesting.

That bit about the electro magnetic fields with flowers was amazing!

I saw those bugs too! I was hoping they were going to mention it.

I was wondering if this show would spark the WBC debate :) The beek on the program seems to think they're the best way to go ;)

Possibly something living on the rotting bark in the trunk? I've never seen anything like that in all the hives and all the pictures and videos I've seen.

Watched it, was awesome. :D So glad the BBC are doing things like this.

Irritates me them referring to the hive as a living thing, e.g. collecting pollen to keep the hive alive over winter... Rather than saying collecting to keep the colony alive...... Petty I know but still.

After watching so much tripe on television , I found this program fascinating .
well worth the licence fee, Oh! I forget! I don't pay for mine being an old Git.
VM

Partial covered hole in crown board but not sure if they have OMF, still good PR for beekeepers
I'll probably get a thousand questions in work tomorrow, it makes a change from the World cup though lol

I'll probably get a thousand questions in work tomorrow, it makes a change from the World cup though lol

It has started already for me! I've got tons of messages from friends to answer lol, it's a good job I'm back on the forum!

But still the comments.. the queen leaves and the colony follows!! e.g. the starvation swarm from the obs hive.
Someone tell them 'they leave and take her with them'.
Otherwise some lovely photography and well presented.

The mites were harmless I think, as in Bumble bee nests. Not parasitic

I reckon those mites or tropilaelaps are an important part of the story. Note the colony has been there for years.

tropilaelaps are notifiable I don't think the mites in the feral colony were!
Pollen mites perhaps ?
VM

Irritates me them referring to the hive as a living thing, e.g. collecting pollen to keep the hive alive over winter... Rather than saying collecting to keep the colony alive...... Petty I know but still.
Yes, they did use hive instead of colony, perhaps they thought it might be easier for the general audience to understand. Also, it came cross as humans have been keeping bees in framed hives for thousands of years, which clearly isn't true.

Again, petty as overall an excellent programme.

Latest posts

Back