Good news!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I finally got in touch with the teacher I liaise with at the school re beekeeping, and school are eager to start up the project again! We have permission to use the allotments still, and my equipment that I had set out as a bait hive is safe, but I need to move it soon before sticky fingers think about 'borrowing' it.

I am hoping to secure funding again - gods knows who from - but I'm looking into it, and this time I will buy the equipment so I better get making a list. This time I'm going to get everything I need. It was no fun being stuck for equipment and having no funds to buy any.

So, a little summer project for me to get busy with. This time next year, I'm hoping to be a beekeeper again :)

The school has a new headmaster and the allotment association have a new head, so things were up in the air. Also, most of last year I spent unwell while they tried to find out what was wrong with me, so I kind of let things slide, but now I'm back up and about, and now I've been talking about bees again, the time is right to get running again :)

You can't beat a good project to get your teeth stuck into. Once the HT and chair of the parent association has had a look in a hive you should be onto a winner.

I've very lucky that most of the parents are supportive, as long as they get to buy some honey at the end that is ;) There are always going to be parents who refuse to allow their kids to participate, so far, I've only been allowed to show a class of kids from the other end of the plot, while I talked about them, but I've taken my kids and a few other parents kids outside of school. If we could possible get a nuc with a glass wall that would be really helpful, we could take a frame into the classroom.

So now, I search for local grants. Shouldn't be too hard, with everyone supporting bees, particularly Manchester Council at the moment.

fantastic news kaz. Can I suggest some sort of crowdfunding to raise the money, use the parents, £5 gets a half pound jar of honey £10 gets a 1lb, £20 maybe a jar of honey and some other hive product, that sort of thing. Im sure you could raise a lot from the parents and they get something from it to, but only when you have got the honey crop on a first come first served basis.

Try the Co-op for funding.. they helped me. Or local council may have ability to help as you are being educational.

Waitrose.. they do the 3 'good causes' collection events each month in their shops. Got some from them too.

Thank you everyone! You have been so good to me :) I am going to look into all your suggestions. I'm sure we will find a way to get this going again.

A big thank you to Dusty, you have been so good to me! I will let you know my plans when we meet next. I would also like to thank those who have pm'd me. I have had a very kind offer from one forum member, and some great advice and suggestions from others too.

There are a few niggles that need ironing out first, meanwhile I'm going to try and come up with a list of what we need. I still have that lovely Hivemaker hive that he so kindly gave me ( I still can't believe that! ) and the old stuff we were given when we first started up. I need to get all the equipment together and make a list so I know how much to apply for. I will let everyone know how it goes :)

He is a great bloke! That was so good of him - I was blown away by his generosity :)

Thank you EricA :) That is very kind of you. That would help to fill the old hive. At this rate I'll have enough to get set up before I start fundraising! Thank you :)

I still have that lovely Hivemaker hive that he so kindly gave me ( I still can't believe that! ) and the old stuff we were given when we first started up. I need to get all the equipment together and make a list so I know how much to apply for.

Just ask for everything you would need if you were starting out with nothing. You'll either end up with some spare but needed kit or it will be negotiated down and you will just get enough of what you need (always bid high!)
B&Q are also trying to get into the pollinator game - maybe they can help

Great idea jenkinsbrynmair. I'll look into B&Q, see what they can offer.

Back