Combining 'fragrance'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I note regular mention of the use of fragrance (spray) as an assist to combining colonies and some mention of being careful with what ones uses. Many cans have warnings as to flammability etc., Can anyone who uses such aerosols recommend a safe brand if that in some way does not offend the ‘ethics’ of the forum – it would be very helpful at the moment.

I note regular mention of the use of fragrance (spray) as an assist to combining colonies and some mention of being careful with what ones uses. Many cans have warnings as to flammability etc., Can anyone who uses such aerosols recommend a safe brand if that in some way does not offend the ‘ethics’ of the forum – it would be very helpful at the moment.

As tradition we use good old " rakija" - I think at your place called plum brandy or such. Strong smell. Diluted with water and after spraying both merging colonies - newspaper also between. As I used by myself when merging, never fails.
" Alcohol Party " :party:

i use glade but have used cheaper versions with no problems.

Glade Warm Vanilla does the job. Used it three times this week as it was too hot for newspaper slower combine. All hives settled quickly, no fighting. Apiary smelt lovely!
Cazza

Spikedog,

Have you thought of using a dab or two of essential oil, rather than an aerosol? I use lemongrass when combining...

Spikedog,

Have you thought of using a dab or two of essential oil, rather than an aerosol? I use lemongrass when combining...

As I have some I use the same, couple of drops of lemon grass essential oil diluted in water in a hand spray.

I use " Old Spice " or a Splash of " High Karate" and one of those shirts with the massive collars and the Gold Medallion..... usually does the trick " Wi De Ladies "

:rofl: Sorry couldn't resist !!! :rofl:

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice and suggestions - Will give the 'oils' a go - I think we can forget about the 'old spice' until the drones are out of the house - P
:thanks:

Just combined two TBH nucs (in either end of a 4 foot long TBH ) using Neutradol...

Happily flying.

Does it dissolve?
If you shake the bottle a bit it mixes/dissolves surprisingly well. I have also added it to sugar syrup in Autumn and it mixes quite well. Did a little comparison and the bees seem to like it better and the inside of my feeders seem to go less mouldy.

Latest posts

Back