Spare Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got a spare mated 2014 queen happily siting on a little brood in an apidia with a few of her sisters. She came from a nasty colony (hence her removal) but might do to get someone through the winter if they are queenless now. I'm in Thanet and she's free to a good home as they say.

I've got a spare mated 2014 queen happily siting on a little brood in an apidia with a few of her sisters. She came from a nasty colony (hence her removal) but might do to get someone through the winter if they are queenless now. I'm in Thanet and she's free to a good home as they say.

How would one know they have a Queen less hive if one can't look in the hive to see if there's a queen present

Simple offer, whats the problem? I thought I might be doing someone a favour!
It is a kind offer, I hate killing any queen, and at least you are honest.

I think most people have their bees tucked in by now so won't know if their colonies are queenless, or would combine to form stronger colonies. Why not try and add a story to the Apidea or make up a small nuke? You never know and have nothing to loose.

Simple offer, whats the problem? I thought I might be doing someone a favour!

Had I known last week, there would have been a home for her in Canterbury.
And it would have been a most welcome favour.

A beginner had been given "a swarm without a queen".
A crazy 'gift' IMHO. Doubly so at the end of October.
From what I can make out, they may have been more of a cut-out - according to one version, from a postbox.

Anyway, I think its sorted now and I believe merged with a (previously smallish) nuc.

When you hear about people with a small amount of colonies losing queens, or having badly mated queens drone laying in the Autumn, it seems such a shame that only a month or two earlier others were squishing good older queens.

Pity people don't retain them and offer to others if they are good. Personally I think the offer was very kind.

Thanks guys for your comments. I did originally hang on to her in case any in our local assoc had come a cropper at this time of year. Her offspring are particularly nasty, although not originally. However, since July they have been consistent and really nasty. So if she is for the freezer its no bad thing as I'll be glad to see her genes out of my apiary! I'll hang on for a little while longer and then do the deed, although at the rate the temps are going Winter will be short (20 degrees here today).

Verry kind offer and will no doubht be of use to somebody,well done

Latest posts

Back