Is this finally end of Varroa mite?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both pages are unavailable to me for some reason :(

Innovation: Effective Biological Varroa mite Treatment
-------.eu/innovation-effective-biological-varroa-mite-treatment/

bee time .....remove the space and replace the dashes in the address.

Innovation: Effective Biological Varroa mite Treatment
-------.eu/innovation-effective-biological-varroa-mite-treatment/

bee time .....remove the space and replace the dashes in the address.
or reduce the following to one line
bee
time
eu
/ innovation-effective-biological-varroa-mite-treatment/

Still does look as though its not very effective compared to high humdity... but you cant patent high humidity in Europe

Last edited:
It's interesting from the point of view that it could lead to a treatment that doesn't seek to kill mites ... just reduces the male mites ability to mate successfully with the prime females in the cells (If I understand it correctly) - so as long as the sex pheremones which they have identified can be supressed and the suppression only has an effect on male varroa then it meets my criteria for non-invasive treatments. But, it appears to be highly experimental at present and I dread to think how long it will take to get to the commercial production stage ... indeed, if the big pharmaceutical companies ever let it get to that stage.

Many a good idea has never seen the light of day after it has been buried by the competition.

It's interesting from the point of view that it could lead to a treatment that doesn't seek to kill mites ... just reduces the male mites ability to mate successfully with the prime females in the cells (If I understand it correctly) - so as long as the sex pheremones which they have identified can be supressed and the suppression only has an effect on male varroa then it meets my criteria for non-invasive treatments. But, it appears to be highly experimental at present and I dread to think how long it will take to get to the commercial production stage ... indeed, if the big pharmaceutical companies ever let it get to that stage.

Many a good idea has never seen the light of day after it has been buried by the competition.

This has been done before with mosquitoes and other similar parasites.

Yes, and I think a Local Housing Authority is doing trials in South London....

The data looks weak to me as dose response is not convincing. Also this oleic acid is the same class of acid as formic and oxalic acid so I would liked to see one of these used as a control as well, to show it is not simply a acid effect on the varroa.

Also I am struggling to see a practical application method for beekeeping as the brood frames would need spraying several times which would be very time consuming.

Latest posts

Back