What do seasonal bee inspectors do in the winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Do they have second jobs or do they hibernate?

I know what they don't do!

Inspect colonies where EFB has been reported within 5km.

I noticed the EFB report whist logging on to BeeBase earlier this year. Never got a call from the inspector.

Fill in a UB40? That is what the 'seasonal' means - employed only during the (normal) beekeeping season. Just like the innumerable Santas at Christmas time - seasonal.

I know what they don't do!

Inspect colonies where EFB has been reported within 5km.

I noticed the EFB report whist logging on to BeeBase earlier this year. Never got a call from the inspector.

Ours did.. or rather visited and will inspect next year - when it's warmer and easier to inspect TBHs (propolis)

Fill in a UB40? That is what the 'seasonal' means - employed only during the (normal) beekeeping season. Just like the innumerable Santas at Christmas time - seasonal.

Not quite - they are employed permanently by Fera but on 'seasonal hours' so they get a monthly salary paid into their bank accounts but on a 'pro rata' basis as they only attend work during the beekeeping season - they don't get sacked at the end of the summer. Unless they resign they will go on the refresher at the start of the year and carry on where they left off the previous season.

Not quite - they are employed permanently by Fera but on 'seasonal hours' s

Government ploy to pretend they are in work all the year round? One third of the real salary for the job, but paid as though they were working the whole year? Might even make the job pay rate below the minimum wage? Simply moving the goalposts to reduce the numbers of unemployed counted/reported by the government in office, as I see it.

Government ploy to pretend they are in work all the year round? One third of the real salary for the job, but paid as though they were working the whole year? Might even make the job pay rate below the minimum wage? Simply moving the goalposts to reduce the numbers of unemployed counted/reported by the government in office, as I see it.

Cynicism RAB? I definitely approve!:yeahthat:

I think/guess the reason for the retainer is to save going through the 'just hired' costly CRB checks for all the seasonal staff every year. They can also be called up to immediately assist if there is a foot and mouth or similar problem as well.

Last edited:
They can also be called up to immediately assist if there is a foot and mouth or similar problem as well.

Are you saying that the other FERA staff would be called upon to deal with SHB if it were to be discovered here?

Latest posts

Back