Feeding Fondant.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all. I cannot seem to get a hold of fondant for feeding. Nothing on supermarket shelves but ready made, ready to use icing sugar paste. I was just wondering if this is similair to fondant and would be ok to use. Thanks.

Yes it would be OK

Check contents first to ensure that the flavouring added is to the bees taste, my bees do not like the peaty taste of the Islay Malts, which is a good thing as they are to my preference!

OR you could easily make your own far more cost effectively.

there is a recipe and a video on this forum site somewhere, you will need an electronic thermometer to make things easy.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks James. I have made it before but have lost my sugar thermometer. To be honest the hives only use about 400g each over winter (I only have 2)

Most bakers will sell you a 12kg block for 15-20 quid.
Failing that my association sell 12.5kg of ambrosia fondant in handy 2.5kg packs for £17.
Read on here somewhere (try search option) not to use the supermarket stuff, not that I would for 50 hives if they need it.
Also recipe on here somewhere.
Good luck and sticky fingers

Most bakers will sell you a 12kg block for 15-20 quid.
Failing that my association sell 12.5kg of ambrosia fondant in handy 2.5kg packs for £17.
Read on here somewhere (try search option) not to use the supermarket stuff, not that I would for 50 hives if they need it.
Also recipe on here somewhere.
Good luck and sticky fingers

I'm in the wrong game, i can get 12.5kg of fondant for just over £9 quid a box.

You don't actually need a sugar thermometer. 'Soft ball' stage is about right? I think Erichalfbee may be more helpful than me, as I am not particularly adept at these fancy cooking methods.

We have an account with Bako, I think it was £9.80 a box last time we ordered. I will ask the other half when she gets home as she deals with all the admin and finances.

You don't actually need a sugar thermometer. 'Soft ball' stage is about right? I think Erichalfbee may be more helpful than me, as I am not particularly adept at these fancy cooking methods.

Happy to oblige.
Drop a small amount of the fondant into a glass of cold water. Pick it out with your fingers and if you have a soft ball (of fondant, that is)....it's ready :)

Happy to oblige.
Drop a small amount of the fondant into a glass of cold water. Pick it out with your fingers and if you have a soft ball (of fondant, that is)....it's ready :)

That is at about 117 degrees C, go too much over this and you will end up with hard boiled sweets!

JAMES

Bako … national mainland delivery is free for reasonable sized orders (I've been told above £50). Alternatively, BFP have depots around the country and are also under a tenner this year. Global sugar prices are low at the moment and fondant is cheaper this year than the last three. Buy loads … it keeps well.

That is at about 117 degrees C, go too much over this and you will end up with hard boiled sweets!

JAMES

Indeed you have only 4 or 5 degrees to play with. However, in my experience it's easy to do. it's a quick test and you take the pan off the heat while you do it.

I don't know where in Scotland you are, but do a search for bakers supplies (then your town) Scotland. Hopefully you should get a link. Alternatively ask at your local bakery and they may be able to tell you where they get their supplies from.

I found it impossible to make my own

So how long does it last?
Any special storage requirements or tips for 'refreshing' old fondant?

Dusty

ages got some stashed away from three years ago and still fine, being in an old outbuilding it is slightly damp so it's still soft. as long as a bit of forward planning is exercised the dampness in your average shed over winter will bring it back as good as new as long as you loosen the packaging.
Found a leftover box tucked away in the association shed last autumn - we opened it up and it was as hard as rock so we decided to either ditch it or make syrup out of itand get some fresh stuff. I forgot to cart the stuff away, come January and thoughts turned to fondant feeding and it was better than the new stuff!

My local association has sent out an email saying they'rre stocking it. If you're not in an association, ask your local baker to get you some.

So how long does it last?
Any special storage requirements or tips for 'refreshing' old fondant?

Dusty

I keep any 'left overs' covered in cling film and it seems to last well. I was cleaning my bee shed last weekend (I'm a messy bxxxer and should be ashamed of myself) and found some from a few years ago that I had forgotten about in an air tight tub and it still looks okay.
Not had to revive any but guess a little sprinkled water and left for a while will do the trick?
S

Latest posts

Back