Watch this video!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQp9pdAOjdo"]Oxalic Acid Mite Treatments - YouTube[/ame]

I have been reading with interest all the posts about using an oxalic acid vaporizer and we have decided that this is the route that we are going to take with regard to varroa control. However one thing that has come across in all the posts,, and also in the online directions for use of the vaporizer, is how careful you must be when using the equipment. A respirator or similar mask, eye protection, acid proof gloves etc and always to be sure to stand well away from the hive so as not to inhale any of the fumes. I then came across this youtube video and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing and felt that I had to share it with you all!!!

Interesting!! But ya wouldn't have me anywhere near a hive like him. Why is it he's not getting stung alot?

He's a member of the forum I believe!

It does not seem to have affected Don very much so far:spy:

look I work with tonnes of the stuff, there is no need for chemical gloves haz-chem suits and Ba equipment, just common sense ordinary surgical gloves are fine work down wind of hives so you don't get any fumes don't use on windy day, if you get any on you just rinse off with water keep out of eyes it stings a lot, keep a bottle of water close by after treatment give your mouth a swill and spit out don't drink it as you may have it on your lips , the fumes are the worst it will take your breath away and leave you wheezy so use common sense and work slowly as rushing causes accidents, and don't get complacent you are working with a chemical after all good luck

Until hid kidneys pack up

it's just like the old guys in work, refuse to wear ppe until it's to late and end up in their retirement carrying an oxygen bottle

redwood if your that worried about it don't use it, same goes for oxalic trickle and all other treatments as I said use common sense , as carrying an oxygen bottle about you should know living in wales and the danger from slag blowing around miles from pits you have probably got more chance of getting black lung,

I know how to treat chemicals its my job, but there are a lot of people that are reading these threads that might just forget what they are doing because its all fun and no harm will come of it.

look I work with tonnes of the stuff, there is no need for chemical gloves haz-chem suits and Ba equipment, just common sense ordinary surgical gloves are fine work down wind of hives so you don't get any fumes don't use on windy day, if you get any on you just rinse off with water keep out of eyes it stings a lot, keep a bottle of water close by after treatment give your mouth a swill and spit out don't drink it as you may have it on your lips , the fumes are the worst it will take your breath away and leave you wheezy so use common sense and work slowly as rushing causes accidents, and don't get complacent you are working with a chemical after all good luck

sorry I meant upwind thanks for putting me straight I normally put one teaspoon in lemonade as increases the flavour

I have been reading with interest all the posts about using an oxalic acid vaporizer and we have decided that this is the route that we are going to take with regard to varroa control. However one thing that has come across in all the posts,, and also in the online directions for use of the vaporizer, is how careful you must be when using the equipment. A respirator or similar mask, eye protection, acid proof gloves etc and always to be sure to stand well away from the hive so as not to inhale any of the fumes. …

I must be under a misapprehension.
I thought you had neighbours.

I think you will find that level is in a confined space amount but might be wrong all the data we had was in side factory's none given for outside working conditions

I must be under a misapprehension.
I thought you had neighbours.

Yes we do have neighbours. Not quite sure what you are getting at here as our bees are kept in out apiaries away from people. Even if they were kept in our garden what is your point? Are you saying that you consider that it is not safe to use in a back garden apiary?

he picked something (sting?) off his hand towards the end.

Dribbling Oxalic is arguably easier, quicker, safer and just as effective. The mix can be made up before-hand and without the concern of a breeze blowing the crystals around. A beekeeper's veil will keep the odd drop (splash) off the face. And spare liquid will fall downwards rather than drift about in the air and through a veil. Why engineer a method which puts a harmful gas into the air when you don't need to? No need to lug a battery around.

Dribbling Oxalic is arguably easier, quicker, safer and just as effective.

Slightly less effective, but not much in it, slower and need to open hive to treat. How many doses are safely recommended for colonies with brood, can many doses be used as with sublimation, without causing much if any harm.

Latest posts

Back