My first year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be quite happy if next year isn't like this year has been.

Interesting post Nigel.

Well done You... serious amount of hives !!! You don't believe in easing into it :) !!!

Thought I was bad !
Likewise First Year... ... all that good advice about for first year watching someone and learning ....Jumped in feet first ... 3 purchased, 4 now going into winter... 46 Jars of honey.
Lots of mistakes.
Learnt lots
Confident handling now
No support from association or help.Very kind offer from Joctl on here that I couldnt avail of due to personal events. Also lots of help here online from you kind Guys and Gals. Most helpfull !

Reallly enjoyed and that feeling of satisfaction as you jar and label your first batch... Priceless.

If it helps others... my mistakes ( many but these probably stand out )

Leaving a frame out of a Polynuc whilst A.Swarming a full hive , was too rushed, to return a week later to see a full frame space of Brace comb. ohhh the joy.. not.. of trying to dismantle and rubber band into a new frame.

Trusting a supplier of a full hive to give me a colony that had supposedly been checked for swarming , only to find a day after purchase a fully charged sealed q.cell. hence A.S. above.

Not preparing for inspections, so when under way being overwhelmed by all going on around me with an open hive, and failing to check in full for one of or a combination of at times, of all vital signs such as BIAS, diseases, levels of stores, etc. Being mostly focused on new Q Cells and swarm preparation.( at the expense of above checks ).

Becoming addicted to this all consuming hobby :)

Not preparing properly the night before for those early morning inspections.. and cursing myself for instead of having all ready, having sat on the couch drinking Beer instead the night before... ahhh !

Many more ..... but heh got there , with honey and a colony more than purchased... ( we will see come Spring I hear you rightly call :) )

So Nigel... To me I slightly tip my hat..... to you...... with your 19 Colonies !!!!!

Well Bloody Done !!!! :)

Last edited:
So Nigel... To me I slightly tip my hat..... to you...... with your 19 Colonies !!!!!

14 atm :)

A guy I was speaking to who has kept bees for 40 years reckons by his records every ten years you get 5 average years, 3 shocking years and 2 exceptional years.
Since I started I reckon 2012 (shocking), 2013 (Average), 2014 (exceptional). Who's going to be bold and predict next year?

Round here:
2010 Ok but I had just started.
2011 horrible.Very cold winter
2012 horrible. Very cold winter.
2013 horrible. Mild winter.
2014 Great except for cold and wet August. No frost in October -a first in 32 years living here.

I could happily live with 2014 every year..

Forecast 2015
Windy wet and hot. And cold. (just don't ask me what goes into which month)...

Forecast 2015
Windy wet and hot. And cold. (just don't ask me what goes into which month)...

Brilliant.. Who could argue with that... Are you that guy from NZ .... Cover all the bases and sure ya can't go wrong !! :)

Latest posts

Back