Tomorrow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
... 31st October, Halloween and 21 degrees predicted for London! I am so tempted to stick my nose in the hive to see how they're doing

... 31st October, Halloween and 21 degrees predicted for London! I am so tempted to stick my nose in the hive to see how they're doing

yep, but remember that they are not foraging so a lot of bored and mainly older bees with full poison sacks not young nurse bees yet to fully develop their sting glands, so your nose may turn Bright red and glow

Are you still in slough? we never got around to meet in Finchley did we

Last edited:
You are going to find they've sealed everything up nice and tight, just how they like it, so you will be undoing all their work. I know how you feel though, so tempting :)

They will be doing fine without you poking your nose in. I had an old bee keeper neighbour and when I was thinking of starting to keep bees I read that it takes around 15 mins a hive a week. I asked my neighbour if this was true he responded ' yep takes you 15mins to look and them the rest of the week to sort out the mess you made' sadly he is now long gone but I always remember this before opening them up....there has to be a reason for doing so and at this time of year I really can't think of one?
S

It depends on the hive condition whether or not you need to open up. Even at this time of year.

Is there a reason to inspect?

If there is a valid reason/concern for inspection (not mere curiosity), then this mild weather may be the last opportunity this year to do something about it - other than as an emergency response (when the weather is the least of your considerations).

oooer, Are you sure you want to that? Remember it will definitely be a case of Schroedingers Bees..

oooer, Are you sure you want to that? Remember it will definitely be a case of Schroedingers Bees..

:iagree:
better not knowing by this time of the year - the only thing you are going to achieve is sleepless nights and anxiety until spring

Margob

There's no practical reason why not if it's +15c but as Jenkins says above - what's the point?

If there's a brood problem there's nothing you can do - you'll just be counting down the weeks until the funeral so imho better not to know.

and you can check if there's enough stores by weighing it - min 55 lbs for a National BB (without the roof)

Thank you for the admonishment HM - and I'm always happy to admit a mistake.

.....it's just that I've never seen mated Qs available in November before

"live and learn"

Thank you for the admonishment HM - and I'm always happy to admit a mistake.

.....it's just that I've never seen mated Qs available in November before

"live and learn"

Don't knock yourself. I still reckon more harm than good would come from it. I agree with your first sentiments! No cause for concern so why give yourself some!
E

yep, but remember that they are not foraging....[\QUOTE]

Your bees may not be foraging, but mine are still coming in with pollen. And they've only just got round to evicting the drones.

+1 for the pollen. LOTS of it..

We have perennial poppies in flower.

:iagree:
They will be doing fine without you poking your nose in. I had an old bee keeper neighbour and when I was thinking of starting to keep bees I read that it takes around 15 mins a hive a week. I asked my neighbour if this was true he responded ' yep takes you 15mins to look and them the rest of the week to sort out the mess you made' sadly he is now long gone but I always remember this before opening them up....there has to be a reason for doing so and at this time of year I really can't think of one?
S

Latest posts

Back