Selling beeswax lip balm on a local market

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieMc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This year I thought I would try and make a few pots of beeswax lip balm and sell it on a local market. Then I looked at the legalities. What a nightmare!!!!!

Surely I don't have to go through all that palava of notifying BIS (the
Government Department for Business, Innovation and Skills) AND notify the product direct to the European Commission using the Cosmetics Product
Notification Portal (CPNP)

see link on Bee-craft
http://www.bee-craft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Value-added-beeswax.pdf

It will only have beeswax, sweet almond oil and a drop of Vit E oil in it!!

Is there any way around all this red tape?

You may be able to buy a licence for a recipe to make a balm from a small time cosmetic producers who has got the recipe through all the Government and EU hoops

The lady who does the workshops on soap and Balm lectures at the BBKA Sping Event and National Honey Show used to license her recipes but no idea if she still does it

Not really.

The simplest means of compliance seems to be to find an assessor who will 'rubberstamp' standard recipes (suggest you might ask Dr Sara Robb who was setting up some such scheme for her published recipes). But even a 'rubberstamped' certificate is likely to cost you about £100/recipe.

I'm sure there will be some on here suggesting ignoring the legislation. Easy to suggest (with zero liability for any consequences), but poor advice.

Thanks. After checking the link, the Beekeepers Safety Assessment Package isnt ready yet. Shame

That's why I began by saying you should contact her!
That page hasn't been updated for at least a year … this is however something that she has had in mind for quite a while.

... (suggest you might ask Dr Sara Robb who was setting up some such scheme for her published recipes). …

Last edited:
This year I thought I would try and make a few pots of beeswax lip balm and sell it on a local market. Then I looked at the legalities. What a nightmare!!!!!
[...]
It will only have beeswax, sweet almond oil and a drop of Vit E oil in it!!

Yes - sell it as "Cork Lubricant (for oboes, clarinets etc)" and in smaller print: "can also be used as lip balm, though not approved by the EU for this purpose."

Which is similar to how the Henry Doubleday approved fully-biodegradable 100% safe weedkiller ammonium sulphamate is still sold - as a 'compost accelerator'. Just to get around EU red tape.

LJ

Yes - sell it as "Cork Lubricant (for oboes, clarinets etc)" and in smaller print: "can also be used as lip balm, though not approved by the EU for this purpose."

Which is similar to how the Henry Doubleday approved fully-biodegradable 100% safe weedkiller ammonium sulphamate is still sold - as a 'compost accelerator'. Just to get around EU red tape.

LJ

Like it! There are always loop holes to be found.

have a look on this website it has some useful info

http://www.gcstm.co.uk/

Thank you so much for the link to the Crafters Guild site. I've read through some of the CPNP notification guide - The form still looks a little daunting, but there are some useful self-help notes which may be able to guide me through.

or as Little_John says, I could call it cork lubricant ..... :rules:

LJ

Indeed. It's lovely how they include the historical info on what ratio to dilute it! :)

I've heard of folks selling a kit of parts (with instructions) for people to make lip balm at home from. Thus you are not making the finished product, the idea being that this got round restrictions.

I don't know if the regulations are still in force, but it used to be that you couldn't sell genuine free-range eggs at market unless you had a 'salmonellae-free certificate' - which of course costs money, and only very large-scale producers could absorb that cost. So they were sold instead as "animal feed". Oh yeah ...

I've heard of folks selling a kit of parts (with instructions) for people to make lip balm at home from. Thus you are not making the finished product, the idea being that this got round restrictions.

Now THAT is an inspired idea - make-up the cork lubricant/ leather boot waterproofing agent, except for just one ingredient that can easily be stirred in, with a nice touch of '100% natural' labelling etc (which oboe players and fell walkers would insist on, of course :) ), and sell 'ingredient X' as a separate item - as it only becomes 'lip balm' when they're added together. Brilliant idea.

LJ

LJ

Thanks for that little gem of information I have been tearing my hair out in frustration since the EU interfered with its insistence on retesting everything on animals. Thereby depriving organic gardeners of the best weedkiller cum fertiliser ever.:winner1st:

Latest posts

Back