Licensed or Generic Oxalic Acid - newish NBU advice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is illegal to use coins of the realm as calibration weights in the UK

Not the most accurate or relevant comment.

It is not legally adequate to use coins to calibrate a scale used for selling produce by weight.
Which isn't under discussion here.

If you have any doubts about the accuracy of your kitchen scale, there is no law that you would be breaking if you were to check its accuracy by weighing some coins.

For weighing out small quantities of chemicals (such as Oxalic Acid), or for the geekier areas of cooking (from bread baking to curing and on to molecular gastronomy) it can be well worth spending a few quid (£5? inc delivery from China!) on a calculator-sized "pocket scale". Pretty accurate, very sensitive, ruddy cheap - just not very robust. My current one weighs to 300g and indicates to 0.01g - and IIRC cost £5 delivered (but I had to provide the battery!) And it can use various different (round number) calibration weights for better accuracy (I have a 100g weight from somewhere).

If you have any doubts about the accuracy of your kitchen scale, there is no law that you would be breaking if you were to check its accuracy by weighing some coins.

You never know who might be hiding in your kitchen cupboard.
No one expects................
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE"]No one expects the Spanish Inquisition - YouTube[/ame]

It is not legally adequate to use coins to calibrate a scale used for selling produce by weight.
Quite so, but good enough to give some indication of your scales accuracy, I use a 20p coin, but not I should add for weighing out Oxallic Acid!

Splitting hairs? It is just what some Forumites revel in as they have little to add to the thread?

But, thank you Eric1/2B for injecting some humour into what it seems has become the place for pedants to, well get pedantic!

Off to the beach now with the little ones to see what the storms washed up!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
By the tone of his other posts this morning, must have picked a few 'wrong' mushrooms for his breakfast this morning

Icanhopit, among other various user names, amusing, but will have to do something about it sooner or later.

It's the made up world we live in. They need their taxes so they can spend billions bombing poor Afghan shepherds to show unity with the bosses over the pond, while moaning like fug about paying a fraction to our European neighbours (to facilitate greater equality) according to previously agreed formulas.
Be a rebel and use generic stuff if it's cheaper, but don't let them catch you writing it in your medicines record book or they'll impound your honey and send your family to the gulag.

Medicines record book ? What's that when it's at home? And no, I don't want one thank you :)

Latest posts

Back