Bbc 4

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
April 14th (tomorrow) 8pm BBC4 first of 3 part prog 'The wonder of bees'

I baggy the choc egg.
Soz missed your post... and so far in advance for we 'mature' people to remember, so have given VM a reminder.

I've pre recorded the entire series ( 4 episodes) Erica .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bag the choccy egg for being a sad old git who reads the Radio Times from cover to cover when it arrives.

Thank you Heather for 'bumping' the info for others who didn't read the original thread. :bump:

Tim.:)

It was an interesting take on migratory beekeeping...in WBCs....! Also for someone who had supposedly been keeping bees for ages, she knew remarkably little, or maybe she was just hamming it up for the camera ?
S

... for someone who had supposedly been keeping bees for ages, she knew remarkably little, or maybe she was just hamming it up for the camera ?
S

My mother is a non beekeeper and commented along similar lines. As yet I haven't had an opportunity to catch up on the show.

I'm at a farmers' market and seven people have come along to discuss the program. All of them liked it.

I've just watched Episode 1 on iPlayer. I agree Martha Kearney may have been hamming it a bit so that the expert could make explanations for the benefit of the viewers. There's nothing not to like about the programme although I suspect Heidi may be disappointed that Martha is setting out to produce a flavourful honey from wild flowers using bees in WBC hives rather than just having them for their own sake and with them living in a cow manure Sunhive. There was at least one editing error where a close-up of drawn comb, apparently in a super with a QX under it, had an egg in the bottom of the cell but that's a simple mistake for a non-beekeeping film editor to make.

Having seen the first programme in the series, I'm looking forward to the rest.

CVB

ps - nobody got stung in the eye on prime time TV, so that's all good!

She wasn't too keen on the rape honey but she liked the Welsh stuff so she's number 1 in my books ;)

I would like to have known which hive was suffering from varroa.

I got the impression that her mentor did a lot for her and her over-reliance was the reason for her lack of knowledge. It's quite a common scenario.

Apart from that I thought it was a really well pitched programme.

I think BBC needs to make something like Keith Delaplane's series. Some viewers, especially of BBC 4, don't watch to be passively entertained, but want to learn something.

A properly educational series might portray how much work is involved and the truly interesting things about bees. It might also result in beginners with a sounder basic knowledge, rather than the beekeepers that turn up thinking that theyre doing us a favour and proclaiming 'I'm here to save the bees!'

Just think the series is trying too hard to make a fundamentally fascinating topic interesting. No need for the fancy filming techniques IMHO, just a knowledgable and engaging presenter.

M

It's nice to see something where the explanations are all given in various UK accents. Growing up, anything scientific (on TV) was almost invariably explained by someone with a continental, often germanic, accent. I am sure that a lot of people grew up thinking that as they had a UK accent they could not do science.

If you do not believe me, watch some interviews on scientific subjects on prime-time TV.

Just watched tonight's episode. Arrrgggh.... I note that next week we are to be treated to continental accents. Are they just more believable or more 'intelligent-sounding' than UK accents? I am at a loss.

Latest posts

Back