Mould on Apimaye bottom tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice-edmund

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Mould in the hive?
This is a picture from the bottom of my Apimaye hive - I did a shook swarm a fortnight back, had a look today and found what looks like mould on one part of the tray - among the usual pollen, bees legs, bits of wax etc. The queen obviously survived as there is fresh larvae in the hive - next to zero varroa on the tray at the moment though which is good.
I did not 'dry' the new hive before I put them in so am hoping it's just residual condensation from the plastic walls - any thoughts?

Is it pollen that's gone mouldy (as it will) or perhaps grey pollen? Quite hard to tell from the photo.

I have to ask, what possessed you to do a shook swarm 2 weeks ago?

A few wax scales there as well, i agree with Chris B mouldy pollen, a bit of condensation/ damp on the floor to start the mould off maybe not a major problem Chris

Because when I got the bees they were on national Frames and in a Langstroth hive there was lots of space for wild comb to glue everything together - and they did - so inspections were tricky. Much easier now.

Too late now, and it doesn't look pretty, but you can fasten National frames inside Langstroth frames by using cable ties on the top bars.

Or a Bailey comb change?
But I was really questioning doing a shook swarm so early. Sacrificing all the brood just as winter bees are dying off is risky. But if it's turned out okay then no problem.

It seems to have worked - almost zero varroa at the moment too. But I think they are going to swarm.

Latest posts

Back