Allotment rules

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On an allotment site should it be compulsory as a plot tenant with bee’s on the allotment site to have;

1) Public liability insurance.
2) Registration with BeeBase.

:judge:

On an allotment site should it be compulsory as a plot tenant with bee’s on the allotment site to have;

It depends what you have in the Rules, most just have poultry, bees and rabbits are allowed.

I think it would be highly recommended, that they have

(registration with a Local Association, and Member of BBKA), also I think it would be wise, that they have also demonstrated, and have Basic Assessment, and/or Mentor or Experienced Beekeeper. Also demonstrate they do not let their hives swarm.

http://www.-------------/learn/examinations__assessments/basic_assessment

Ensure that the Land Owner and/or Association Committee, grant permission for the siting of the hive, make sure bee flight paths are not across other peoples allotments, may use screening or fencing, for bees to gain height and fly over. Ensure the Beekeeper, has an Out-Apiary to move the hive to, just in case there are issues.

If none of this is in place, there are likely to be issues, in the future.

Just a few bits from our allotments, to which we have now removed the Bees! (not that we had any issues, other than people going up to the hives and watching, children banging the roofs, and children swatting the bees next to a pond on site!)

I am new to this particular allotment site and they appear to have no rules regarding beekeeping! :hairpull: Previous allotment site applied rules that are on par with your information above.

There are two beekeepers on this site, one of them has four hives with 3-4 supers on each throughout winter! I have asked why to which the reply was the other beekeeper with decades experience on site recommended it! Furthermore their hives swarmed 7 times last summer. :hairpull:

I will be approaching the association to ask for beekeeping to be regulated on the site.:sos:

I will be approaching the association to ask for beekeeping to be regulated on the site

Be careful what you ask for.

That being said; I think it is more like an apiary than an allotment. With two beekeepers already having bees there, do you really want to be tarred with the same brush as them when they swarm, or someone is stung?

I once had bees on an allotment and they didn't do very well.

Registration with BeeBase. Should that be compulsory or advised?

It's always advisable, so NBU, or whatever they are calling themselves, can notify you, if there is an outbreak in the area!

Also, if you have BDI insurance, and the other Beekeepers do not, I think that could make yours null and void, if they have a notifiable disease!

It's not your issue, it's the Allotment's when things go pear shaped!

we've actually decided, Bees although nice to have, should not be in public view, and also like B+, they did not do as well as my other colonies, in open fields! (in the same forage area!).

Should have liability insurance and registered as a minimum. Also ideal the basic or show a minimum of two years experience (difficult)

I have bees on three allotment sites one is strict but self managed and the other two could not give a dam and local council run. However I am responsible and make sure the apiaries are as good as they can be and even keep an eye on the two other beekeepers who I share one site with as without it things could be interesting.

A few years ago I was miffed when the parish council refused me permission to put my hives on a fallow area of the council allotments, adjacent to my own plot. Subsequently, on reflection, I am glad. Although I have usually quiet bees there are those occasions when they can be angry e.g. last year I posted here that the angry bees were greeting me at the gate of my current apiary and what could I do to identify the rogue colony? The problem lasted a couple of weeks and then disappeared. I would be very uncomfortable if my fellow plot holders were stung.

I also found allotment beekeeping to be more trouble than it was worth. All but 1 of the people on our site were quite content to have the bees present, but the one was plenty enough trouble.

The bees were good natured, screened to raise flight paths and at the perimeter of the allotments, yet the wasps that had nested in his shed were according to him bees, and the stings he got from going crazy at them were blamed on the bees.

It was sad to relocate them, and people often say they miss the opportunity to come down and watch them, but in the end the fewer idiots you expose your hobby to the better

I would agree at PL insurance (was required for our site), plus an out apiary at the ready if required

If it's not - it should be
In my view only a fool would be without either

I guess it up to whoever owns the allotment.

I know that Norwich insists on a eerrr, whats it called? you know.. bit of paper thing,, to show that you are certified:icon_204-2:

Membership of BBKA gives you public liability insurance

I would think that anyone keeping bees anywhere would be very foolish not to have public liability insurance, likewise it is sensible to register on beebase.

BBKA recommends that allotment beekeepers should hold Basic Certificate as indication of some degree of competence.

In Ireland, membership of the IBKA includes insurance - is that not the case for the BBKA?

Yes.

But not every beekeeper is a member of BBKA, not all beekeepers believe they need for any sort of insurance, and a good percentage of beekeepers choose not to register on Beebase.

The plot tenant on this particular site has four hives on the plot (plot size approx 200 m2) with plot tenants on either side, access track on the other.

With 7 swarms last year and 3 supers on each hive throughout winter i personally think the individual is a liability.

Do you think there should be a limit on the number of hives & nucleus on a plot?

Sounds like you have just moved to this allotment, which already has a couple of beekeepers in residence, and you intend to stir up as much trouble for them as possible.

The plot tenant on this particular site has four hives on the plot (plot size approx 200 m2) with plot tenants on either side, access track on the other.

With 7 swarms last year and 3 supers on each hive throughout winter i personally think the individual is a liability.

Do you think there should be a limit on the number of hives & nucleus on a plot?

I guess he must have been unable to catch the swarms..
is there anything wrong with the supers?

Latest posts

Back