Eggs in QC's already

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB008

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
AS the weather was good this afternoon I had a very quick look in my 5 double national hives. I pulled a few frames from the top box only to check that all was ok.
4 out of 5 had multiple brood frames, the 5th only having 2, and one had at least 8 frames of brood on them. This colony had 2 proper uncapped QC's both containing eggs but no jelly. The colony is certainly highly active for this time of year and has plenty of drone capped drone brood but no hatched so far as I could tell on such a quick inspection.

Advice is sought.

Thanks

You are way ahead of us then! Have you been feeding? Is there enough room for the queen to continue laying? I would doubt they will see these queen cells through to the end but....I have never had hives that advanced at this time of the year with this weather so not sure what will happen! Look forward to other people giving you ideas so I can learn too!
E

You are way ahead of us then! Have you been feeding? Is there enough room for the queen to continue laying? I would doubt they will see these queen cells through to the end but....I have never had hives that advanced at this time of the year with this weather so not sure what will happen! Look forward to other people giving you ideas so I can learn too!
E
I went to a local meeting on Monday and was staggered by how many people had already been opening their hives. I thought that I must have been the odd one so had a quick look today, not a full inspection or even half of one - it was about 12c.

Re the Qc's - they have only had winter stores and a precautionary block of candy - plenty of room for the Queen on a double brood box a good idea and I will check to make sure.

I had two old playcups with eggs in on the 11th of March. I ignored it. Not had a look again yet but at the time didn't take it too seriously. Figured there was no way they would be swarming yet, and as most empty cells had bias I figured she was just keen to lay wherever she could. The hive is now lighter, so hopefully she has more space.

I had two old playcups with eggs in on the 11th of March. I ignored it. Not had a look again yet but at the time didn't take it too seriously. Figured there was no way they would be swarming yet, and as most empty cells had bias I figured she was just keen to lay wherever she could. The hive is now lighter, so hopefully she has more space.
Unfortunately these were brand new and fully formed

I never open at this time of the year so I wouldn't know if I had them! But....thinking about it I would bet they will tear them down.....then again, I might lose the bet! Looking forward to your next post in a couple of weeks time!
E

I never open at this time of the year so I wouldn't know if I had them! But....thinking about it I would bet they will tear them down.....then again, I might lose the bet! Looking forward to your next post in a couple of weeks time!
E
My feeling is that they should tear them down. Maybe in early Spring she does not release a lot of pheromones till she's laying a lot, just like a newly mated queen. Crossing fingers.

My feeling is they're not happy with the queen - but with no drones, and still not the weather for serious flying I should think they'll change their minds and try again a bit later

.... and one had at least 8 frames of brood on them. This colony had 2 proper uncapped QC's both containing eggs but no jelly.

Thanks

Whereabouts on the frame were these queen cells ?

I think JBM may be on the money but I agree with Bosleeu that the likelihood is that they will pull them down as it is very early to be creating QC's for any reason. These, I understand, are famous last words ....

This is about the time of the season that we start getting reports of swarms beyond the tamar on here.

so not too long before the first ones due in the SE.

This is about the time of the season that we start getting reports of swarms beyond the tamar on here.

so not too long before the first ones due in the SE.
No signs of any swarming activity in the great grey green greasy Tamar river valley all set about with social housing (Excluding the Ham ooze stinky place!)
Too too cold! Too too early to start "inspecting"
Curiosity will kill your bees indeed!

:hairpull:and what is the use of queen cells if there are no drones?

Yeghes da

Just checked my Nuc that had the playcups with eggs in them on the 11th- nowhere to be seen today, queen laying a lovely pattern with only one side of one frame not covered in brood and eggs. They will be too many for the Nuc soon.

Back