is this a cross or varroa mite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irishguy i'm new to beekeeping too and have been keeping an eye on this website for the last while in the hope i might learn something and be able to ask questions in the future. Anyone that asks a question on a forum deserves to be treated with respect and not ridiculed and told to go elsewhere which is what i am likely to do now. Best of luck this season with the bees.

Please stay. There are some very aggressive members, but generally we're a helpful bunch. In a while you'll be able to identify the helpful ones by their forum names and ignore the ones who are not.
Welcome to the world of beekeeping, and to the forum. Do please stick around!

Irishguy i'm new to beekeeping too and have been keeping an eye on this website for the last while in the hope i might learn something and be able to ask questions in the future. Anyone that asks a question on a forum deserves to be treated with respect and not ridiculed and told to go elsewhere which is what i am likely to do now.

To make a fair comparison between this thread and other questions asked, it might be worth casting your eyes over this one, also started by IrishGuy. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30773 It runs to 37 pages, so might take you a while to work through.

Best of luck this season with the bees.
Sometimes, most of the time, it needs more than luck.

Irishguy i'm new to beekeeping too and have been keeping an eye on this website for the last while in the hope i might learn something and be able to ask questions in the future. Anyone that asks a question on a forum deserves to be treated with respect and not ridiculed and told to go elsewhere which is what i am likely to do now. Best of luck this season with the bees.

You'll be fine, Fiona 1. Most of the posters are great, but some of them have a 'boisterous' sense of humour. Mind you some of them hate each other:icon_204-2:
I have said before it's probably the best forum there is, so you don't want to 'chuck it in' just yet. Watch for a while and stick to the beginners area till you feel more confident. Keep your eye out for JBM and such they are the devils spawn!:D

:cheers2:

To make a fair comparison between this thread and other questions asked, it might be worth casting your eyes over this one, also started by IrishGuy. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30773 It runs to 37 pages, so might take you a while to work through.

Best of luck this season with the bees.
Sometimes, most of the time, it needs more than luck.

Yes I suggest F reads this to and with her/him coming from the beginners perspective then he/she will see how and why I made the decisions I did. In hindsight I did make some wrong decisions but I also made some right decisions as well based on all the info I got. Sure aren't my bees still there and also that nuc pulled through and that's going against beeks who's been in this game quite a few years saying it wouldn't. Yes I know there's still a few weeks/month to go to be completely out of overwintering but their there now still with good stores. I received many a pm from beeks who've been keeping and eye on that thread and a lot agreed with me that they seen how I made mistakes on the advice I was given, they just didn't want to post it publicly.

Anyway, it'll take a lot more than a few negative posts to get under my thick skin and make me abondan this place. Give it a few years and I'll be able to laugh at all this nonsense going on when I've became a better beek.

On another note, I see beeks who've been rearing bees more than a decade or 2 all at it against each other on here with conflicting advice, all trying to score points so what chance do us beginners have. Fs, even in my association I've seen speakers conflict each other so Its like this, I'll take all info from all angles then make my own decision and if the bee keeping goes pear shaped or flourish, then it'll all be down to my own decision making.

Im sure every last one of you have made quite a few fecked up moves in your beek adventure, you won't be the first and I surely won't be the last. Its just mines is plastered all over the internet and a few people get their G-strings in twist and throw their own negative opinion in.

This is a great example of inappropriate responses. I recently requested information on taxation on another site only to be met with snide unhelpful responses, rather similar to some of the reactions here. The problem is that I am expert in a number of domains, but taxation isn't one of them, and I'm happy to share my own expertise, so I was quite taken aback by the responses. The correct response, as Fiona 1 said, is to treat every question with respect - of course, the OP should be be given the correct information, and should be directed to his local BKA and the courses they run, but abuse in inappropriate.

For Irishguy - I'm rather surprised you found your course to be not particularly worthwhile - like you, I started last year but I found the course content to be fascinating and learned an enormous amount, to the extent that I now understand how much more I have to learn. Much more importantly, though, are the friends i made with people who have an enormous amount of experience and skill which they are only too happy to share.

And some info for the UK beekeepers: the Irish preliminary certificate course doesn't do much beyond the very essential in the area of anatomy, so it's not surprising that someone here with only a year's experience doesn't know the bits & pieces of the bee. Although, unfortunately, everyone should really be thoroughly familiar with the evil varroa.

Listen you, its very easy to get bit confused by looking at them pics and pics of varroa on the net if one is still a newbie. Its not like I study this carry-on day in day out, I've a life to live and kids to rear and other stuff going in, this beekeeping is justba hobby for now. Yes I'm a 2nd year beek, first year was a fecked up roller coaster year as usually happens in bee keeping. As for the beginner's course, load a sh1te it was and very easy to forget what it says in the books with so much going on in the hives. People like you just like to have digs at a few simple feckers like myself when just starting out to make yourself feel important, something I'd never do myself.
Hello irishguy - This just really made me laugh! Watch out tho' - 'this carry-on' seems to take over lives! I'm sorry the course you took wasn't good; I enjoyed the one I did. Even so, am just hoping not to make the same mistakes this year that I made last year .... but plenty more to choose from no doubt. May well be still feeling like a beginner in 10 years time...

By the way, do you have disease id/comb workshops where you are? Where you can look at combs damaged by different diseases etc? That's very helpful I think.

Last edited:
Im sure every last one of you have made quite a few fecked up moves in your beek adventure, you won't be the first and I surely won't be the last. Its just mines is plastered all over the internet ...

Absolutely!

It is a steep learning curve. It's easy to forget how steep it is, especially in the first year or so. It's also easy to get exasperated, sometimes, with what's being written on the internet when face-to-face the reaction would be completely different.

This is a great example of inappropriate responses. I recently requested information on taxation on another site only to be met with snide unhelpful responses, rather similar to some of the reactions here. The problem is that I am expert in a number of domains, but taxation isn't one of them, and I'm happy to share my own expertise, so I was quite taken aback by the responses. The correct response, as Fiona 1 said, is to treat every question with respect - of course, the OP should be be given the correct information, and should be directed to his local BKA and the courses they run, but abuse in inappropriate.

For Irishguy - I'm rather surprised you found your course to be not particularly worthwhile - like you, I started last year but I found the course content to be fascinating and learned an enormous amount, to the extent that I now understand how much more I have to learn. Much more importantly, though, are the friends i made with people who have an enormous amount of experience and skill which they are only too happy to share.

And some info for the UK beekeepers: the Irish preliminary certificate course doesn't do much beyond the very essential in the area of anatomy, so it's not surprising that someone here with only a year's experience doesn't know the bits & pieces of the bee. Although, unfortunately, everyone should really be thoroughly familiar with the evil varroa.

Listen you, its very easy to get bit confused by looking at them pics and pics of varroa on the net if one is still a newbie. Its not like I study this carry-on day in day out, I've a life to live and kids to rear and other stuff going in, this beekeeping is justba hobby for now. Yes I'm a 2nd year beek, first year was a fecked up roller coaster year as usually happens in bee keeping. As for the beginner's course, load a sh1te it was and very easy to forget what it says in the books with so much going on in the hives. People like you just like to have digs at a few simple feckers like myself when just starting out to make yourself feel important, something I'd never do myself.
Hello irishguy - This just really made me laugh! Watch out tho' - 'this carry-on' seems to take over lives! I'm sorry the course you took wasn't good; I enjoyed the one I did. Even so, am just hoping not to make the same mistakes this year that I made last year .... but plenty more to choose from no doubt. May well be still feeling like a beginner in 10 years time...

By the way, do you have disease id/comb workshops where you are? Where you can look at combs damaged by different diseases etc? That's very helpful I think.

To be fair, our club is a great run place going by what I seen already. I did enjoy the beginners course and I'm happy I did complete it but I left feeling there should have been more to it. Think I was abit harsh with my word choice when mentioning it earlier in the thread.

Latest posts

Back