Two Queens!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both originating from the Mediterranean seem to display hybrid vigor, but soon lost... hence the need to requeen with queens from a breeder every season.

I'm sure I must have read this wrong: They display hybrid vigour when they are crossed (possibly on the boundaries of their regions) not because they all come from the same geographic region. est-ce pas?

Hi Beeno. I spot a queen very easily most of the time. Might be luck but somehow my eyes always drawn to her. I know the new queen is from last year and with the number of bees I don't think there are any problems.
Regarding aggression, I have had mine go nasty but now think it may have been the OSR, time will tell.
Well its another exciting year ahead. Not knowing what lays ahead makes the hobby more interesting for me.
This will be my 3rd year, just hope its a little easier than last year and less swarms. Wishful thinking!!

Seems a common occurrence round here with bees in peoples chimney stacks.
Lady next door has had them cleared several times and I noticed them when we moved in last year.
My swarm came from the next village and almost all the houses in that street have them. Im interested as these are thriving colonies without any treatments so keen for mine to do well. It will be interesting to see how they build up, aggression and honey production this coming year.
They were calm last year and at the moment. Although they took quite a while to build up but once they going and I hived them they seemed ok.

Apis mellifera mellifera

Upper case only on 1st letter of generic name

Hi Steve,
Definitely exciting hobby. Swat up on swarm prevention, less work than swarm control. Got one little lot though, originally three casts, which I think might be more likely to swarm.

Apis mellifera mellifera

Upper case only on 1st letter of generic name

:spy: Why is it called a bi nomial... when there are three words?

I lacked a classical education!

Grandad always made me laugh.. he would add an expletive between any latinised descriptor...

Croakin B*****ing Cusses
Quirkus flippin ropor...
Honey Bloomin Bees etc etc

From Tradegar... perhaps that explains it?

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back