other beekeepers dead outs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all the other bits of paper that don't tell you anything apart from you can sit in an examination room and write legibly that on the whole are pretty silly but if that what makes some people feel adequate, fair enough.
Some people like to study and like to take exams. They don't do it to make them "feel adequate", it's simply because the opportunity is there and, well, it's what they want to do.

There are plenty who do not want to do any formal study, and do not want to take any written exams - just because they don't.

I don't think it's fair to demean either, or to say that one is more right than the other.

The discussion is about what can be done about the current problem of poor beekeeping practice, example noted in the OP. Maybe the answer is nothing, and it's just part of beekeeping?

Whilst a don't think making the BBKA Basic compulsory is a good idea, I think a case can be made for some process to prove practical competency.
I tend to agree with you, and I also tend to think the Basic is just about right as it stands but there could do with being a next level of practical and oral assessment that isn't as tough, or as subjective, as the GH.

What do you think killed these bees?

Not what. More like Who?
There's the conundrum, with all the examples I gave.

Is the colony loss the fault of beekeeper of less than a year's experience - who did as they were advised and lost their very expensive bees, or is it the fault of their advisor?

only corrdidors I saw were the ones I had to scrub with a toothbrush every day before 6 in the morning.

You were lucky...at least you weren't evicted from your hole in the ground and made to go and live in a lake.

Lets look facts. Varroa is biggest reason to winter losses. When we look advanced opinions on forum, varroa does not kill hives, and furthermore it is illegal to kill mites. It has been 10 years this way, and no reseach can change the opinion.

Then there is an anecdote from dad to son series: Cold does not kill hives, it is moisture. That is the most stupid sentence what I have ever met in beekeeping.

It so funny. Our warm winter is like your cold winters. However we in Finland repeat same sentences here about moisture and how warm winter consumes more winter food than cold winter.

So, to get a licence to keep couple of hives, you must learn that old rubbish too.
If you read real researches, you will never pas the test.

And finally the fairytale about worker queen which must be shaked 100 yards away into lawn.
15 years ago University of Sheffield revieled out what is worker laying, but it has not changed anything in beekeeping. Only few understand that when you put larvae into the hive, the hive is in normal stage and not any more "desparately queenless".

To read and to understand are different things.

Last edited:
I have to do the basic assessment.
Not only because I want to but I can't move bees to the solar farm without it.
Having the basic certificate seems to be a requirement.

Lets look facts. Varroa is biggest reason to winter losses.

is that also the reason why hives are being found with no bees in them?

Latest posts

Back