Poisonous plants or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Golden Chain Tree has poisonous wood and you should not use it as fire wood. Bees absolutely love the flowers

The Golden Chain Tree has poisonous wood and you should not use it as fire wood. Bees absolutely love the flowers

Labernums? Thank god for that, i planted two last year after seeing bees all over them in a garden centre :)

Sorry Cazza i meant to write " So the people on here that said pieris & daffodils are poisonous are idiots too? " i hadnt meant you were an idiot, it was a question to the real idiots ;-)

I take it that I must be classed as an idiot as well especially as I was first to point out Pieris nectar is poisonous, even though the literature confirms this.
You have condemned others in the passed as Googling answers, why don't you Google " Plants with Poisonous Nectar" and "poisonous pollen", there are quite a few plants to avoid, but you should remember imported garden plants are only grown in small numbers and when the nectar of these plants is mixed with normal nectar supplying plants the poisonous elements are reduced to sub lethal levels.

Will the honey kill us? Or would the bees have to feed solely on one plant species for it to have any effect on either?

No, it won't kill you but it might make you mad - but only if it's the sole nectar source.

You might like to read the article "Mad Honey" http://www.academia.edu/966648/Mad_Honey_ with events dating back to 401 B.C. and Xenophon, and linked with rhododendrons.

it was a question to the real idiots

It could have been answered by the only one on this thread, especially if you had done as MikeT has suggested.

it was a question to the real idiots

It could have been answered by the only one on this thread, especially if you had done as MikeT has suggested.

Isnt it tkme you were taken back to the home, wouldnt want you getting lost.

No, it won't kill you but it might make you mad - but only if it's the sole nectar source.

You might like to read the article "Mad Honey" http://www.academia.edu/966648/Mad_Honey_ with events dating back to 401 B.C. and Xenophon, and linked with rhododendrons.

Ive read this before in a bee book, interesting, nice to read about sncient beekeepers , thank you.

Jonny Use Google

Try this one Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jasmine), I would suggest sucking the nectar of this plant or eating honey from it as it is very poisonous. its principle alkaloid gelsemine is an extremely poisonous compound and kills at low concentrations. Children have been killed by ingesting nectar in the USA You could try it to make sure I'm right!!!

Last edited:
Jonny Use Google

Try this one Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jasmine), I would suggest sucking the nectar of this plant or eating honey from it as it is very poisonous. its principle alkaloid gelsemine is an extremely poisonous compound and kills at low concentrations. Children have been killed by ingesting nectar in the USA You could try it to make sure I'm right!!!

What? Youre saying you want me to die? You want me to take this poison so it kills me? Youre saying this on a public forum? You must be a real nice guy Mike!

Last edited:
Looked ideal for this section shame it's finished, sign a disclaimer and away you go. Happy Days.
"Kew Gardens opens drugs festival with chance to try 'mind-altering' plants"
The Plant Connoissuers’ Club, a workshop run by Kew Garden. The workshops ran from September 20 to October 13 2014

What? Youre saying you want me to die? You want me to take this poison so it kills me? Youre saying this on a public forum? You must be a real nice guy Mike!

You have no sense of humour this was again meant to be amusing to add a little spice to the thread. If it has caused you concern then I apologise, You have also intimated in this thread that I am an Idiot, for which I think an apology is necessary. You have made some rude and abusive comments about me on other threads where you do not agree with my views. I appreciate others have strong opinions and I respect them, but I do not become abusive if they are not the same as mine.

Your PM to me I believe should be published as it is threatening :-

Maybe you should read your pms again after your last post to me, if you just simply dont like what i post & so tell me to poison myself i think you may have serious issues fella

I will now be putting you on the ignore button. At one time I befriended you because I thought you were being bullied, but you brought the adverse comments on yourself by being rude and abusive to other members of this excellent forum.

Will the honey kill us? Or would the bees have to feed solely on one plant species for it to have any effect on either?

Ive read this before in a bee book, interesting, nice to read about sncient beekeepers , thank you.

Maybe you didn't read it very carefully, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to ask your original question.

You seem to bring this feeling out of people jbg - no idea why - something to do with your need to be confrontational on each thread and trying to assert your (self assumed) superiority? and you have a pop at RAB!

The British are fond of murders in small villages. This one more idea in TV dramas.

Maybe ‘admin’ should consider closing the thread. The thread question asked at the start, if genuine, really does typify ignorance and stupidity.

The British are fond of murders in small villages. This one more idea in TV dramas.

Finman, This board is a small English village!

I'm eagerly watching each episode, and wondering who the next victim will be... ;)

Back