Poisonous plants or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I thought i would start a thread to see if any people know which plants we really dont want in our garden & which are ok.
This comes about after posts saying pieris & now Daffodils are poisonous. I know lots of plants are poisonous including fox gloves which bees adore, are there any flowers actually going to kill bees? Will the honey kill us? Or would the bees have to feed solely on one plant species for it to have any effect on either?

Sometimes your questions bring me closer to death than any plants! :)

Yes, I am sure he is a reincarnated drivel poster who changed his screen name last year.

How about japanese knotweed for starters. Could go on to alligator plants, egg plants that might hatch into more WoT super insects. Could magic mushrooms and other hallucinators be included? Something reminded me of them when reading the OP.

Will the honey kill us? Or would the bees have to feed solely on one plant species for it to have any effect on either?

Do you think the beekeeper tracks every bee to see what plant its foraging on :icon_204-2:

I thought i would start a thread to see if any people know which plants we really dont want in our garden

so by removing anything dangerous from your garden, would stop your bees foraging on in other gardens?? or will you be doing night time raids on neighbouring gardens within a 3 mile radius pulling up plants etc ??

will we see you in the papers headlines "man caught at night having a tug"

I thought i would start a thread to see if any people know which plants we really dont want in our garden & which are ok.
This comes about after posts saying pieris & now Daffodils are poisonous. I know lots of plants are poisonous including fox gloves which bees adore, are there any flowers actually going to kill bees? Will the honey kill us? Or would the bees have to feed solely on one plant species for it to have any effect on either?

Bees have been foraging for millions of years and so are going to be pretty expert in how to distinguish poisonous plants (to them) from 'safe' ones. Go on any 'survival' course and they will teach you how to test for 'safe' plants. the bees probably use the same method. Also check out "trophallaxis" that will give you an idea of how they pass this information on.
Some plants are reputed to produce 'toxic' honey. you can soon Google that.
Although when a good source of nectar is found, it is said that the bee will forage this source all day, bees will vary the source, especially pollen otherwise they will not get the variety of amino acids that they need. (Like you eating one particular food every day, you would not be too healthy).
Think that covers things.:)

Yes, I am sure he is a reincarnated drivel poster who changed his screen name last year.

How about japanese knotweed for starters. Could go on to alligator plants, egg plants that might hatch into more WoT super insects. Could magic mushrooms and other hallucinators be included? Something reminded me of them when reading the OP.

Ah more sarcasm from oliver who said he was hitting the ignore button but obviously cant find it! You seem to be ignoring the private pm's i sent you telling you to back off .

If you all read my posts about the pieris you will see i dont actually think these plants will harm me or the bees . I just thought possibly there may be plants that can be harmful especially with introduced garden plants bees arent accustomed to. So the idiots on here that said pieris & daffodils are poisonous are idiots too? That makes me feel better although i dont see their posts being slated by you all?

If you all read my posts about the pieris you will see i dont actually think these plants will harm me or the bees . I just thought possibly there may be plants that can be harmful especially with introduced garden plants bees arent accustomed to. So the idiots on here that said pieris & daffodils are poisonous are idiots too? That makes me feel better although i dont see their posts being slated by you all?

Nice to know that I am now an idiot!
Cazza

Poisonous plant means that plant protect itself against animals. But pollinating animal is not an enemy. Why plant tryes to kill its pollinator?

Thought I made a reasonable effort to reply to a reasonable question.

Snog marry or avoid?:confused:........... :D

The brain works no better even when you try to think. Ignoring does what? Work it out. But on this occasion I juuust had to agree with enrico. He is so right, you are boring people to death - and enrico is one of the more patient members.

Back off? I suugest you get real and go back to the beginners section where you would be more at home. Spend a little (no, a lot) more time learning how to keep bees. I have read some of your comments on other threads and they are, overwhelmingly, laughable. D&D would sum you up perfectly.

maybe because they haven't been eating magic mushrooms and are away with the fairies like some one on here:icon_204-2:

The brain works no better even when you try to think. Ignoring does what? Work it out. But on this occasion I juuust had to agree with enrico. He is so right, you are boring people to death - and enrico is one of the more patient members.

Back off? I suugest you get real and go back to the beginners section where you would be more at home. Spend a little (no, a lot) more time learning how to keep bees. I have read some of your comments on other threads and they are, overwhelmingly, laughable. D&D would sum you up perfectly.

I am asking questions to learn why do ignorant people like yourself feel the need to take the piss out of people "Beneath "you? I have lots of other interests i have done for years if i was asked questions from new people about them, i wouldnt be so arrogant as you, & some others. It seems some of you want the glory of answering peoples questions & think new people should keep quiet, well sorry this newbie aint giving up :)

Nice to know that I am now an idiot!
Cazza

Sorry Cazza i meant to write " So the people on here that said pieris & daffodils are poisonous are idiots too? " i hadnt meant you were an idiot, it was a question to the real idiots ;-)

maybe because they haven't been eating magic mushrooms and are away with the fairies like some one on here:icon_204-2:
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

But Tesco did have to move the daffy bulbs away from the food isle in Kelliwick... for fear of our large population of migrant workers eating them!

Rhododendrons.. the field type that grow on the mine waste sites all around Tregothan are deadly poisonous apparently some myth about a Greek army going potty after eating honey stolen from bees that had been foraging on it?

Greek myths not really my subject... East End clearance secondary schools did not really go in for " The classics "!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back