Allotment rules

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think applying a basic policy that requests beekeepers to have liability insurance is stirring things up.

There should be guidelines/policy to protect the interests of the association and its tenants.

According to many views on the forum to apply three supers of stores per hive throughout the winter may compromise the survival of the colony.

According to many views on the forum to apply three supers of stores per hive throughout the winter may compromise the survival of the colony.

Difference between applying and being left there for the bees to eat.

Yes.

But not every beekeeper is a member of BBKA, not all beekeepers believe they need for any sort of insurance, and a good percentage of beekeepers choose not to register on Beebase.

Waverider do you really want to keep your bees close to these ones?

There are several former and current members of our BKA that have 1 or more of:
1: Have minimal BDI ins, although they have more than 3 colonies
2: Won't reg with Beebase. ????????
3: No PL. Former members but still have bees, they may belong to another BKA but...

In Portsmouth to be able to place hive on allotment local authority have said you have to a member of local BKA and they state you must have kept bees for two years before authority is given You don't have to be an allotment holder

I don't think applying a basic policy that requests beekeepers to have liability insurance is stirring things up.

There should be guidelines/policy to protect the interests of the association and its tenants.

Having insurance does nothing to prevent a bee from stinging.

How do you know they aren't empty? I know a number of beekeepers who store empty supers above the crown board.

How do you know they aren't empty? I know a number of beekeepers who store empty supers above the crown board.

I spoke to the plot holder a couple of weeks ago. The supers were full and left on the advise of another beekeeper.

Leaving supers on over winter is no big deal.

What would be very risky is leaving supers on with a QX.

This post is digressing abit...
yes plot holders should have insurance and bee on bee base as should all beekeepers, why wouldnt you???
being on a allotment my new neighbor did expressed concern for her gran children when she moved in last summer. told her i was planning to down size from 5 to 2 but can see her being militant as soon as the first sting. fortunately winter claimed two so im there pritty much there, going too leave empty hives ready for when she complains
my point is allotment are great for forage and the interest it attracts and all the potential honey sales but theres always some grumpy sod who spoils it.

also 3 other beekeepers onsite one registered and insured, one who im trying to convince and one ive never spoken to but has provide some excellent swarms.
if we get disease we are all stuffed

Can you sell honey from bees from an allotments ? so is they are point, in putting bees on an allotment?

because most agreements, state produce is for family only and not for sale...

" Tenants must not sell any produce from their plots " - so this would include honey?

that may depend on if the bees are actually occupying "a plot".

but it's quite common, that you cannot sell excess vegetables from an allotment, and they may not take up a plot!

so if you have bees on a plot, that produce honey, can it be sold or have to be given away free..

seems an odd rule,

you'd always be selling to recoup!, with cost of bees, wax, frames, hive, bee suit, smoker, electric smoker, more frames, extractor, jars....

and with vegetables. seeds, compost, raised beds, manure at £1.50 a bag, plants...., lawn mower, rotatovator, petrol tiller.....

(maybe the devil is in the detail of the Signed Tenancy Agreement!)

Whatever the rules say. Locally the wording is not "carry on a business" or sell produce for "personal profit". Which would seem to allow selling for charity or covering costs. In practice, as I recall, some have been reminded of the rules after displaying " honey for sale" notices and told they are not allowed. Swapping surpluses or even selling elsewhere has not attracted attention.

Latest posts

Back