Bee vac

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the design, can I make a suggestion...

If the opening for adjusting the suction was in the lower box, rather than the bee box, then the reduction in suction would happen BEFORE the bee chamber.

There would be the same suction and adjustment available for the intake tube, but the bees would have less suction onto the floor of the bee chamber.
With the current design, if you reduce the intake suction by opening the bypass, it won't change the amount of suction through the bee chamber floor.

PS. A handle on top wouldn't go amis, both for lifting, and for securing with a bit of rope in awkward places.

ill make one with the vent in the bottom section to see if it will make any improvement in not sure if it will make any differance but im always willing to make adjustments thank you

I really like it! looks well made, I made a sandwich one, which is a bottom vacuum section like and eke with sealed off bottom and mesh on top with the adjustable vacuum valve, onto which I put a Langstroth BB with frames, and I have constructed a lid for the vacuum hose on the centre of the top under which I leave two fames removed from the BB for bee flow!!!, Bloody handy for big colonies! and quick hive settling, but a bugger to carry around with the hoover two person job! your one looks much easier to lug around!.

I really like it! looks well made, I made a sandwich one, which is a bottom vacuum section like and eke with sealed off bottom and mesh on top with the adjustable vacuum valve, onto which I put a Langstroth BB with frames, and I have constructed a lid for the vacuum hose on the centre of the top under which I leave two fames removed from the BB for bee flow!!!, Bloody handy for big colonies! and quick hive settling, but a bugger to carry around with the hoover two person job! your one looks much easier to lug around!.

thank you so much ichbinpaul im always looking to improve things but have to take cost into effect aswell

I used mine yesterday Steve, it was a lifesaver. Builders needed a roof colony moving ASAP. It even sucked the bees out from between the comb. Got most out with the vac and then was able to take my time getting the comb out.
My only criticism is where I left the plugs in the vac holes since I bought it from you, they had stuck themselves into place! Got them out eventually but I would suggest that the unit is stored with the plugs out!
Thanks
E

Maybe add a little lubrication to the rubbeer bungs thats what i use

I do use that but I hadn't removed them since I bought it from you a couple of months ago and they were stuck solid. Had to knock them out from the inside! But they are well greased now. Not complaining just suggesting to store it bungless!! :)
E

can i just say a massive thank you to eveyone that has purchased a bee vac and also the people that have helped with comments hope all your bees are now nice and warm with there thermals on ready for the long winter

bless you all thank you not worthy

Just picked up on this thread and it’s a nice well made simple piece of kit. The simple solutions are always the best. I like the idea that it could double up as a nuc if needed and for the DIY’s amongst us a nuc could be adapted (sorry Steve but most would have worked this out anyway)
My own observations and I have no experience in using one perhaps slightly larger say six frames. A swarm perhaps on in a five frame nuc, but a cut out on a large colony or large swarm come to that?
The air adjustment on the side would be good to keep even if you go with one in the base as you could spray water through this on hot days and the extra ventilation would help.
Nice job well done.

thank you ive put alot of time into the design im very happy with it again thank you for a kind words

Latest posts

Back