Would it be ok to site a hive in a garden near a motorway?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obee1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11 ish plus some nucs
I am on the hunt for a local garden to host a hive as my garden is only big enough for one or two hives. A local lady has offered her garden but mentioned it backs onto a noisy motorway. In the other direction is a very large park. Does this site sound suitable?

Obee

Yes but if you have crops on the far side of the motorway you may lose a fe on windscreens!

Go take a look.

I believe forum member Muswell Metro has colonies near to motorways.

pollution wise no different from any urban environment.... possibly better!

Yeghes da

At least, it is not a good place to hives. If you have alternatives.
I bet that lots of bees will die when they arrive to hives with heavy loads, it is windy or cold weather. Bees drop among traffic.

Last edited:
At least, it is not a good place to hives. If you have alternatives.
I bet that lots of bees will die when they arrive to hives with heavy loads, it is windy or cold weather. Bees drop among traffic.

Not really a problem as most of our motorways are at a standstill half the time.

I've been looking at a couple of sites right next to the M4 - one, I think, will be OK as the motorway is in a cutting: the flightpaths would be over the M4 and I don't think the bees would be too troubled by turbulence at that height. The other site is within feet of the motorway fencing - any bees heading out over the motorway would be sucked into the turbulence of cars, let alone lorries. I don't think they'd make it as far as the windscreens!

Thanks guys

I think I will need to see for myself how close the road is. I suspect the section of motorway is elevated by there so the poor bees would be unable to fly above the traffic very easily. Shame they can't be directed the other way where the park is. There was even a special bee garden planted there last year.

Probably going to have to carry on searching for a good site.
Obee

What I look first in a new, possible beesite is, that does it allready has enough bees.

I have any apiary 100yds from the M5, does not cause any problems, but keeps me entertained seeing the queues on Saturday mornings in summer.

Latest posts

Back