Swarm Q cells with Dartington type floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there any advantage to creating space at the bottom of a hive to give the bees room for Queen cells? I use home made , Dartington type floors on my national hives, but they result in not much room between the floor and the frames. I was thinking that if I put an eke on the floor about an inch deep to raise up the frames a bit, then the bees will put their queen cells in the space created. Not to encourage the bees to swarm, but to help in spotting the Queen cells.

It does not help in swarming control. But more space let bees to draw wild combs under the frame bars. That will be a nuisance.

the bees will make their own space by chewing away adjacent cells where they want to put the Q cells, they'll also build them hanging forward off the face of combs. As said, extra floor space over and above a bee space (6-9mm) will more likely just encourage extra wild comb.

Think here the bog standard bottom bee space National.

What is the gap between floor and frames? Must tell you something?

You need to bear in mind that if you have an open mesh floor, the bees will not build cells tight up against the free air flow.

I have underfloor entrances and I have but standard beespace under the frames bees seem to cope well enough with it and just draw the QC's a little further up the frame or around the edges.
Bees don't always draw swarm cells at the bottom of the frames anyway

I have underfloor entrances and I have but standard beespace under the frames bees seem to cope well enough with it and just draw the QC's a little further up the frame or around the edges.
Bees don't always draw swarm cells at the bottom of the frames anyway

Yes, this is what I see as the problem. The fact that they build the Qcs further up or around the edges makes them more difficult to spot. The idea was to make it easier for the bees to put them at the bottom, so they are easier to spot. Like what seems to happen with a standard national floor

But they don't invariably make them at the bottom of the frames - run seven nationals with standard floors at the association apiary - yet to see them place their QC's tidily at the bottom of the frames so what's the point of mucking about with the floor on the offchance?
It's the same as those who chant 'QC's in the middle of the frame has to be supersedure!' I've seen as many swarm cells just in the middle

Latest posts

Back