Its getting Springier!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he should get a job on t.v. if he's that good. forecast says dry & warming up a bit mid week :)

Seems now to be happy with a pint of "Trelawny"... although He did appear on "BBC Spotlight" a good few years back apparently... using bees and other native fauna as long range weather predictors!

May have been ITV "LOOK WEST"...

Yeghes da

Signs of Spring

Oil Seed Rape starting to flower in Nottingham

6˚ all day and a hailstorm at 5pm
Hello Spring?

Only at 1700! we've been having them off and on since 1000 this morning - the last lot the size of blackcurrants at least there wasn't a frost on the ground when I got up this morning (I had a lie-in until 0730) although SWMBO had to de ice at 0600

Bees out this morning about 1100, but cold.

Now there's ice on my car at 2200 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bees seem determined that spring is coming - despite the (my!!;)) thermometer reading 6 deg C, several colonies were flying, albeit sparsely....

Frosty here this morning, went trout fishing down yorkshire today & it was almost 12 degrees!

Only 8oC but the bees were flying well to a willow bush in full flower just 50 yds away. All bees were bringing in pollen. I am lucky as the willow bushes and trees are of several species and flower over a relatively long period, so they should have a good supply of pollen for brood rearing.

I'm in Hereford. It's amazing how much milder it is. Cherry, blackthorn, willow all out and buzzing.

Ir always used to leave me in wonderment - early spring when travellingback from the boat on days off - starting from or Gravesend, setting out with the hedgerows in full bloom and the further west i travelled on the M4 the less and less blossoms I'd see - arriving home to top up the fondant again!

Ir always used to leave me in wonderment - early spring when travellingback from the boat on days off - starting from or Gravesend, setting out with the hedgerows in full bloom and the further west i travelled on the M4 the less and less blossoms I'd see - arriving home to top up the fondant again!

I find that heading south from here by the tjme you reach birmingham you can see a weeks difference or more in hedgerow flowers. Although saying that theres a place up here near the coast in full sun & the sloes have been in full flower for over a week, shows what a difference a bit of shelter from the wind makes.

Signs of Spring here in SW France unfortunately the weather is not in sync.

1st cuckoo heard 11 March, first swallow seen yesterday, willow covered in pollen but not a bee in sight the temperature is struggling to get to double figures C and we had a hail storm pm yesterday.

The bees are all cozy and munching fondant - "foraging in this weather - you have got to be joking" was the cry.

Wind gusting at 35mph, lashing rain and we've just had a power cut.
Not getting much better for a week or so.

Thick fog / low cloud over Bodmin moor today.... would have got completely lost if it was not for the sat nav!!

Yeghes da

The sloes close to me have tightened up again, its just not warming up, & today was just wild & wet, lots of pussy willow being wasted but still a lot of it yet to open.

Spring has not arrived yet in my part of Norfolk. No blackthorn in flower, willow just started. The very light sandy soils do not warm up quickly and soon loose any heat. Yet on the heavier soil area the blackthorn is in full flower and the hawthorn is coming into leaf.
It now blowing a gale and lashing with rain, put the ewes in the shed for safety in case any lamb tonight. Looks as thought there is a little improvement at the end of the week.

Long range forecast I viewed today, gives no real comfort in terms of temperature here in Kent, with no April day forecast to reach 17 degrees until back end of month. Current weather is a mix of showers light/heavy and gales. Not at all conducive to foraging though I have one hive busily gathering all it can during the odd bright spots between the showers. Spring is an elusive teasing will o the wisp it seems!!!

Back