First colony loss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Lost my first colony today. Checking for stores today, found one dead. A full inspection revealed the following:

Colony had split in two at opposite ends of hive.

Approximately 5 frames of bees at 50% coverage.

In the group that had the queen. Brood was present and looked healthy.

Three frames of stores between the two groups.

No signs of nosema.

Could not find any varroa

Classic symptoms of starvation.

It looks like they would not move off the frames to where the food was.

had you treated with oxalic over xmas? how were they looking then?

Checked two weeks ago and all was fine.

I think one of the problems may have been down to the frames. This was a 'onsite store hive' that I kept a mix of frames in should I need something in one of the other hives. The entrance block had been partially dislodged and a swarm moved in late summer. This meant they were on a mix of std brood and 14 x 12 frames. This may have caused a barrier.

Another thing that was different about this hive, it is the only one I have which is solid floor - hence the reason I was using it as a store.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I would be interested to know if you find out what happened.

Realy sorry to hear that.
I have been concerned that mine are at one end of the hive and i have fondant over the feed hole in the centre.

As the weather is mild at the mo with temps about 9 or 10 and bees flying why would they have not sent a few bees over to get some food.
Maybe a silly Q but i need to know :)

Checked two weeks ago and all was fine.

I think one of the problems may have been down to the frames. This was a 'onsite store hive' that I kept a mix of frames in should I need something in one of the other hives. The entrance block had been partially dislodged and a swarm moved in late summer. This meant they were on a mix of std brood and 14 x 12 frames. This may have caused a barrier.

Another thing that was different about this hive, it is the only one I have which is solid floor - hence the reason I was using it as a store.

were the frames lugs north-south or lugs east-west . an old adage is that bees start on the south and work north and frames with lugs east-west means less starvation splits Never seen any difference with mine though :D ( but they are east-west lugged)

Last edited:
Realy sorry to hear that.
I have been concerned that mine are at one end of the hive and i have fondant over the feed hole in the centre.

One of mine's like yours MrB, i have to say im also a bit anxious, with each year that passes in this hobby i find myself going nuts earlier and earlier desperate to get in and check they have all made it !!!! roll on spring....

were the frames lugs north-south or lugs east-west . an old adage is that bees start on the south and work north and frames with lugs east-west means less starvation splits Never seen any difference with mine though :D ( but they are east-west lugged)

Lugs North South, all other hives are East West, this one was in an odd position as it was setup only as a frame store and tucked to one side at the apiary but ended up an accidental baithive. I must make sure the entrance blocks fit tighter.

By the look of the bodies, I reckon they died in the last seven days.

Seems nuts as they had adequate food in the hive as well as fondant on top.

Found the queen and put her to one side with the intention of seeing if Bcrazy wanted it and a Robin came down and nabbed it. All others have been cremated.

Later on this week, I will check all other hives just in case they have divided.

Latest posts

Back