Computer Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Beek

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Tried to add a mini USB camera and USB ports did not work properly afterwards. Tried system restores. Resorted to inserting recovery disk to do a full system recovery.

Should the system recovery have returned my PC to how it came out of the box?

If so, I didn't.

USB ports still do not work correctly. For instance, if I insert a flash drive it doen't read it correctly.

Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.

if u goto control panel then to device manager your usb ports listed in there if there a prob it will have a x next to them or sum sort error message

What were you doing with the camera for the PC to refuse to comply?

could be a dodgy installer sticking XP USB Drivers onto Windows 7 or vice versa.

System restore should return the system to the point where the last one was taken. It's possible that a restore point has been taken since you installed the USB drivers so it might be worth checking the dates of the restore points and seeing if you can choose a restore point prior to the installation. (can't talk you through that step as I did buy a Mac and they ain't perfect either ;))

If you did a System recovery and the USB does not work.
Check for up to date Drivers , look at the pc make, or motherboard if you know the make of it.
BIOS is read only,This would not be changed from what you have done.
After looking for the right driver lets us know if it worked. ;)

Also did you update all windows software after the recovery ?

Tried to add a mini USB camera and USB ports did not work properly afterwards. Tried system restores. Resorted to inserting recovery disk to do a full system recovery.

Should the system recovery have returned my PC to how it came out of the box?

If so, I didn't.

USB ports still do not work correctly. For instance, if I insert a flash drive it doen't read it correctly.

Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks.

If you have a pal whom you trust and who is more of an expert than yourself, you could try remote linking to him online using Team Viewer. The link is at http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx Providing both parties download the free software and exchange passwords, then the other party can see your desktop and manipulate your mouse to see what needs adjustment. My son-in-law regularly uses it to correct problems on his mothers PC in the US. Best I can suggest short of going to a local PC shop but if you do extract your personal stuff onto a USB dongle (or two if necessary)(min 4gb) or onto an external hard drive if you have one. Otherwise they will see all your personal stuff. You will need to backup everything first including emails you want to keep, Internet Accounts, Rules, etc. Go to Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com:80/default.aspx/kb/270670 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/276511/ for Outlook Express backup advice and use the Import/Export button in Internet Explorer to backup Favourites and Cookies you want to keep. Open up folders in My Documents to keep this stuff of course. Hope this helps. Easy when you know how - really it is. Hope this is useful. If you think I be useful PM me and I'll see what I can do but I will also need to see you desktop and to talk you through. I'm 50 miles away from you otherwise I might have offered to come over.

Last edited:
There are some tips on USB problems here: http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter General.htm

It might be an issue with BIOS settings which could explain why a system recovery did not sort it.

RT speaks truth, and thats a good link - in which case would also be worth checking the manufacturers website for the latest BIOS upgrade. My money would be on the USB drivers being incorrectly replaced by the microscope install though.

But, if the usb ports where working before trying the devise then BIOS settings are fine.

Latest posts

Back