The black bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen a "New computerised program" for honeybee wing morphometry?

I have used Draw Wing, and Beemorph, but neither are supported on my new computer program, as seem to be made for Vista and Windows 7
I have 200 Terrabites to play with ( or something like that the man in PEECEEWorlds said)
I know DrawWing was a Polish University invention, is their an update???

Yeghes da

Are you using windows? If so then right click on the program you want to install, go into compatibility mode and change to an earlier version of windows before you install the program, also run it as administrator. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I seem to be struggling a bit with Windows 8
My computer man says he has something that will make 8 work and look like 7, plus can clean up and pimp up my old computer to use for the DrawWing program

Yeghes da

Sounds like a car sales man.....I could be wrong.:cool: perhaps he will re-install 7.LOL

Thanks, I seem to be struggling a bit with Windows 8
My computer man says he has something that will make 8 work and look like 7, plus can clean up and pimp up my old computer to use for the DrawWing program

Yeghes da

There is an application from Microsoft themselves that will revert windows 8 back to windows 7 as so many people complained about the windows 8 version. (Why do you think Microsoft gave the upgrade to 8 FREE when people bought late version7. LOL)
The problem with Windows (just my opinion) is that it is forever 'updating' and this adds more and more 'rubbish' to load from start up. Things running in the background that most people don't need or want in any case!
If you go on line you can find sites which explain your config.sys and how to 'edit' it to speed things up BUT be very careful to create a restore point before you touch your config.sys and write down your changes so you can revert them if things go badly. Carelessness can be disastrous!
Best of luck!:eek:

I change to ubuntu ten years ago and everything I have to use windows on someone else's computer I get a bloody heart attache because I can't believe it how much crap windows users are willing to take and even pay for it.

I change to ubuntu ten years ago and everything I have to use windows on someone else's computer I get a bloody heart attache because I can't believe it how much crap windows users are willing to take and even pay for it.

Got to agree with that. Thinking of going that way myself if I can bring myself to another total re-install! :eek:

You can have both Linux ubuntu and window's on the same HDD so when you are installing ubuntu it gives you the option of creating a new partition for it. On boot up of PC you can boot either window or ubuntu ... simple really

You can have both Linux ubuntu and window's on the same HDD so when you are installing ubuntu it gives you the option of creating a new partition for it. On boot up of PC you can boot either window or ubuntu ... simple really

Thanks Wrightbees. Will look into that. Much appreciated.:)

so when you are installing ubuntu it gives you the option of creating a new partition for it. On boot up of PC you can boot either window or ubuntu ... simple really

Perhaps for a few, but for the majority of computer users? How many could install an operating programme from scratch.

Perhaps for a few, but for the majority of computer users? How many could install an operating programme from scratch.

I build my own PCs - every few years and instal Windows from scratch. Easy if you follow the instructions written for dummies like me... No intelligence required: press 1 or 2 ...

Would you consider that the vast majority of computer owners could do that?

No more than many beekeepers would attempt to breed their own native black bees it would seem... although it is not a black art... plug red wire into socket C and blue wire into socket D etc etc

Yeghes da

The Drawwing program definitely works on Windows 8.1, just tried it. One problem I encountered was using Norton, it sees it as a threat, override it and it is OK, it doesn,t have a problem with other antivirus programs (the others I have tried, anyway).

Is easy...
1.Defrag your windows so all data are together on HDD
2. Insert Ubuntu DVD and start computer.
3. Follow the questions...
4. That's it

Did that years ago with Windows XP and Vista on the same hard drive.

No more than many beekeepers would attempt to breed their own native black bees it would seem... although it is not a black art... plug red wire into socket C and blue wire into socket D etc etc

Yeghes da

I think you have far too high AN opinion of the abilities of most people who use computers. I make pin money sorting out their silly mistakes.
Quite agree about not breeding native blacks. It's as difficult as keeping any other strain pure with all the local mongrels about. At least where I live, gather Wales and Cornwall are exceptions.

Back